Larger FMIC with no airflow

Right now my FMIC is only 2.5" thick and im about to start cranking the boost… it is sorta small the core is about 27" long by 8" by 2.5" it fits the opening of my bumper perfectly… so i was thinking about upgrading a lil bit… if i got anything taller it would be hidden behind the bumper and would not get much more airflow… would that hinder it more than leaving it at its size or should i just leave it alone, or just go a lil bit thicker

Who makes the one you have now? You may be able to do better without going bigger.

The one I mentioned to you is 2" taller and 1" deeper plus it has nice cast end tanks and a Garrett bar and plate core.

the one i have now is a bell intercooler core with custom endtanks… its a pretty nice unit

Just because it’s hidden from sight does not mean it’s not getting any airflow on it. The larger core itself will help out. Don’t forget, Aluminum transfers heat exceptionally well even when it’s not being directly cooled. You can cut your bumper or duct the air there as well if you have the room. My FMIC has the top 3" covered by the bumper but it still gets airflow on it.

if you get a new one please PM me if you plan to sell the one you have now, its the same dimensions as mine but mine is a crappy ebay one and i need something of better quality

thats a pretty good sized intercooler man, and thats a really nice core. i would suggest 2 temp sensors. one on either side, and then turn up the boost. if its not doing its job, then upgrade… but for the sounds of it, that core should be good for 350ish.

im going over 350 this summer… gonna start knocking on the middle 4’s

thats a pretty big jump from where you were.

sounds like someone found a way to spend his tax return. :slight_smile:

just been takin lil chips at the problems in my last setup and im finally gonna take the boost to as much as the motor likes not what we decide to stop @

go deeper and like mike said maybe a 1inch in each direction…you’ll be fine

Spend your money on water or alchy injection.

even if its partially blocked a bigger intercooler will be better because you have more surface area on the inside for the charge to transfer heat to the aluminum.

What Zerodaze said is right on the money. I would not upgrade a good part unless you know you need to. Unfortunately there are no simple ways to figure this out other then through testimg. Thats most of what real race teams do. They install a new part and test test test. You can pick up a cheap pair of thermocouples off ebay. There are other types of inexpensive temperature sensors that you can use. Most require a very small hole to mount and you can do all this yourself.

This way you can verify your temperatures and intercooler operation with numbers instead of just guessing like most people.

I would put one sensor in each end tank, right by the pipe opening. This only needs to be a temporary setup since once you get some base numbers during a few runs you can expect them to be the same or similar every time after that.

Basically no need to go crazy with a fancy install = less time consuming / less PITA