Keeping a car over winter?

Ok, this might sound like a stupid question but o well. I am looking into buying a muscle car(looking for anything Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, anything) to eather restore or keep in MINT condtion. I have a garage, but as of not it is only shale and not heated. The heat can be fixed fairly easy, but how can I keep a car in good condition year round in a shale garage? I here putting a car cover on them isn’t good becouse the moisture comes off the floor and gets under the car cover which makes rust.

Anyone have any ideas how to keep it from rusting and such or is it a lost cause without having the floor poured(which I am planning on doing sometime in the near future)?

Ill help you pour if you want just buy beer

Haha, sweet. :hsdance: Your thee man. Dunno how far it is down the line though.

Yea joe, I know I talked to you about turboing the 6, but in the end, I will end up with a quick car with a LOT of work and a ton of $ into that I will never see back. So I desided to buy a car that I can restore(or keep like it is) and have the power of the V8 and that will be worth something 10+years when I sell it.

humidity is an oxidation exaserbator. Temps wont harm anything. Get a dehumidifier and see how fast it fill up. It it fill pretty quickly then get two. also throw a couple desecant bags in the interior, trunk, and under the hood. Put it on jack stands with the suspension unloaded, and cover it. If you really want to get crazy pull you spark plugs and squirt some oil into all of the cylinders and crank it around a couple times. then put the plugs back in.

Thanks, I will probly do ALL of that, but what are desecant bags?

cars were designed to sit on the suspension. I am going to respectfully disagree with the unloaded suspension idea. I would put the car on jackstands with the suspension loaded (a-arms and axle). Leaving the car with the suspension unloaded can warp the body… i.e. f-body’s.

and as an alternative to a car cover, I’ve heard of several people using visqueen and a good soft car cover. the visqueen keeps the moisture from seeping up underneath the car.

All good ideas. A cover will keep in the moisture, unless you go with a breathable cover, but if there is alot of moisture in the garage, I dont think the breathable cover would save anything. I use my covers mainly to keep dust off of the vehicles.

Joker6, do you have any cars in mind?

I know of a 66 Pontiac LeMans that is just sitting in a guy’s driveway (been there about a year). He wanted $10k for it, but that was when it was all shiny & stuff. Plus, someone hit the driver’s door (it is on a bend on rte 130 in Penn Twp, and someone must have slid into it on an icy day - it looks like only the door was damaged). The car is in decent shape, but could use a repaint (it has been repainted, because mayfair maize is the original color - a light yellow). Actually, with a new driver’s door & a good detail, the car would be a nice driver. It is red w/black interior. The paint is very oxidized, but would probably buff out & look ok. It has a fairly new interior. It is a 326 V8/auto. He told me he bought it in Las Vegas & had it shipped back to PGH. I think he thought he would make a quick buck on it, but found out it is not a $10k car.

I looked at this car last year around this time & told the guy I would give him $5k for it. He declined (he thinks it is as valuable as a GTO). It is a $4500-$5000 car. If you are not worried about having a GTO, or are looking for a car to modify, then this would be a great car. I would offer him $3500-$4000 & see what he says.

I am just putting this out there, as I do not know this guy, or would profit in any way from the sale. My interest is to save the car. I just cringe everytime I drive past it, because I would love to buy it & save it from it’s demise of sitting outside, right along the main road. But I have my Truck, bike, & my GTO, and no more space in the garage.

PM me if you want more details. I looked this car over pretty good last year.

Ehh, dunno, not really looking for a car to mod(atleast not that much). but it sounds like it could be a nice project. Not sure what they look like though

looks very much like my gto with different tailights, hood & grilles.

Here’s a link to some pics of one…

damn is that nice, hmm, is that what this car your talking about looks like? Time to start saving and sell my car, lol. Damn, if it looks like that(I know it won’t be that kinda condition and stuff) that would be sweet

fogging oil, never hurts if your storing it for a period of time

Yep, definately not in that condition, though. I wish mine was that nice.

probably right. But its at leas a decent idea to get it off the tires.

I would agree completely. I did not notice the “unloaded suspension” in Jay’s post.

It is a moisture absorbent, like those little bags that your get in electronic products that say" Do no eat" all over them.

Cabelea’s sell them in varying sizes for guys to put in their gun safes to keep moisture out. And they are reusable, when the indicator dot changes from green to pink, you pop it on a cookie sheet in your oven for an hour and your good to go again. They are really cheap too, I think the last one pound ones I bought for in my safe were like $7.00 at the store, a little more if you have to ship.