Kit car tech inspection woes

Short story.
I have a factory 5 ac cobra.
Ny state requires me to have reverse lights,wipers and a defroster in order to pass tech and register the vehicle as a 2012 custom.
Obviously the kit,nor the car came with any of this bullshit and I’m not too excited to install all if this just to take it off after it’s passed.
Anyone ever deal with this or have any insight for me?

PM ubengineering lol

I want the fucking long story.

Is it for the title or just an inspection?

I’m going to take it this isn’t for a 2012 inspection sticker.
More than likely you are effed in the a and have to bring it up to code.

I wanna play. <3

Also.

Post some photos you god damn fggt.

Title it in Alabama, Florida, or Vermont as a 1965, retitle it back in NY as a 1965. Done. There are companies that do this for you, or I think Florida or VT you can do by mail.

^That’s what I’m talkin bout.

Possible to do with out showing residence of said states? Post me a link you fuckin loser

I don’t have links. Last time I did it was for a non titled car back in like 2001. Did it though Alabama that time. Now I have an address in FL so it’s not a worry anymore.

Google it bitch.

you don’t plan to have reverse lights or wipers?

for defroster you can literally get away with one of those cigarette-lighter plug powered heater/fans they sell at walmart suction cup mounted to the windsheild…that’s what a lot of the guys that build the lotus super7 replicas have done to pass tech. It also really depends on how lax the guy doing your inspection is…

Im building a Locost (all be it slowly) and i plan on a cigarette lighter type defroster fan, i will have reverse lights and they make a detachable windshield wipers. You pretty much can NOT get around it, you just have to align with it in NYS (legally).

Mini heater

I can not find my link to the windsheild wipers… But it was nice for this application as it would clamp onto the top of the windsheild and use power from a 12v output.

Also have to have flip down visors, I’m prepping for a Vin inspection down on Dingens this spring.

This isnt a normal inspection. You’re talking taking it to Dingens to get an exam. i would suggest you call DFI on dingens 826-1501 and ask them, they are all decent folks and will give you guidence. I’ve seen alot of cobra/customs go through there.
fyi custom vehicles are exempt from emissions, they only get a normal safety inspection as far as NYS inspection is concerned.

You could get one of these and mount it to a magnet, or make a bracket to go on your license plate. http://www.etrailer.com/p-BU11CS.html

Or just get a backuplight license plate:
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/License-Plate-LED/White-LED/V-LEDS-HIGH-POWER-18W-p7516915.html

Just did the inspection on my Dad’s '34 Ford kit car this last summer.

Gotta have all that stuff; except the defroster. Hell, he doesn’t even have heat in the car and it passed just fine.

Back-up lights and wipers he did have to have though.

Why dont you just share some pics of your factory five?

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Pics

How hard is this inspection?I’ve always heard it’s a massive pain which has killed my interest in kit cars.Or MPDs option of having a company title out of state and send title / any more info on this?Always liked westfields. awesome. wall of text… wtf VB

Its really not that bad. I dont do them so i dont have first hand exp. but from what i see it doesnt look that terrible

It wasn’t that bad at all when we did it last year.

The most PITA part was collecting receipts from all the major parts (Engine, trans, axle) and having proof they weren’t stolen. Otherwise it took maybe an hour once the car was off the trailer. It’s essentially the same inspection that salvage/rebuilt cars go through; so the guys that do the actual inspection are really cool with kit cars as they’re something unique and not the crap typical car that’s been hacked back together as cheap as possible. Well, at least the guys that we took the car to in Rochester were cool.