Lancaster to stay open with big changes.

Nobody puts any money into that shithole (is shithole one word?) . Lets just hope this 1/4 track comes through.

i cant wait to run in april down at moroso. 24 hours of LeMons is a great time:lolham:

Any word on the mods coming back to the oval??

Word on the street is that the landfill has no more methane problem so they are thinkikng about making lancaster a 1/4 mile and run it parallel with the freeway.

Also, Vito Antonicelli bought NYIRP yesterday…

ughhh, that would be killer. that means i can brake stuff closer to home.:pimp:

but still, im not believeing it till i see it, and even if it were to happen it probably wouldnt happen anytime soon.

Read the article.:bloated:

dunno Vito, but Bob was pretty damned cool

vito made my e30 cage.

ohhh, those guys. interesting.

obv would be awesome to have a decent 1/4 so close. But we’ve heard such things before.

Lancaster track to stay open with big changes
By Larry Ott - SPECIAL TO THE NEWS
Updated: 01/31/08 6:58 AM

Lancaster Raceway Park, following months of speculation that it would close, will open for its 50th anniversary season in 2008 with a new promoter, a new name, different divisions and an altered schedule.

Ralph Galluzzi will return as the promoter at the dual drag and stock car racing facility for his second tenure this decade. The track will be known as Dunn Tire Raceway Park. Galluzzi was Lancaster’s promoter from 2000 to ’04 before being replaced by Jim Reid. Galluzzi has a multi-year deal to run all aspects of the operation.

Galluzzi sold exclusive naming rights for the track to Dunn Tire, but he would not discuss details of the deal other than to say it was for multiple years.

Reid repeatedly said last season that he might not be able to afford to run Lancaster this season unless a new buyer, leaser or partner materialized.

“It’s rare when someone has a second chance at running a race facility,” said Galluzzi. “This time we will make a difference. I’m all about helping the racers and I give you the Big ‘G’ guarantee on that.”

Galluzzi’s involvement at Dunn Tire Raceway Park is tied into his attempt to build a drag racing facility in the Southtowns. His interest in Lancaster was piqued when he learned it might close.

“For two years, I’ve been working with a group of investors trying to possibly build a new state of the art, national event drag strip somewhere in the Southtowns. If Lancaster was to close we would have lost racers.”

Galluzzi says that his plan is to build up both the stock car and drag racing fields at Dunn Tire Raceway Park. If he is able to construct the new drag strip in the Southtowns, then the drag racing would move there permanently and the stock cars would stay at Dunn Tire Raceway Park.

The stock cars will run on an every- other-week basis with a reduced number of classes at Dunn Tire Raceway Park this season starting in May.

Gone are the Late Models and the Super Stocks, leaving the Modifieds, SST Sportsman, Street Stocks, TQ Midgets and Four-Cylinders to run this season. The U.S. Open will return.

The weekly IHRA Friday night drag racing program, which starts in April, is realigning divisions and combining classes. The Super Pro and Pro classes will be combined in the Top Class while the Heavy and Street divisions will be merged into the Mod Class. The Snowmobiles and Motorcycles will be molded into a combined unnamed class. Divisions for Amateur Street and a Quick 16 will also be added.

Drag racing will also be held various Tuesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. The 50th anniversary celebration will be held during the Sunday Niagara event Aug. 1-3.

Galluzzi says reducing divisions in both the stock and drag programs will concentrate the purse money rather than spreading it out over more classes, which will help drivers.

He also said that the number of stock car shows was cut from 18 to nine this season to reduce costs.

Over the years, the track has been known as Lancaster Speedway, Lancaster Speed World, Lancaster Motorsports Park and most recently Lancaster Raceway Park. The new name represents the first time in local racing history that a track has carried the name of a corporation rather than the name of its community.

Galluzzi is hiring his staff and is looking to improve the physical structure of the facility and is looking into hosting events including concerts, charity and other entertainment functions.

About his return, Galluzzi said: “I’m back and I’m here to save the track.”

Is this true? vito has been trying to buy NYIRP for years and bob kept screwing him around so he gave up, between paying for lawyers and whatever else he was losing money. If vito did buy it thats great new! he’ll invest whatever money the track needs and bring back the IHRA national event. Cant wait!

Mike

that would be awesome :tup:

Combining the classes is kinda lame. Just think, instead of having 30 cars in your class now there are 60. The street/heavy class will have over 100 in it easy. An easy way to cut the purse? Now you’ll have to go 2-3 extra rounds for a payout.

but the payout will be higher, so it will make people want to come race more , since the money they,d win would be alot more than it ised to be

I’m all about helping the racers and I give you the Big ‘G’ guarantee on that.

well i guess everyones agreeing that these are good changes, i have never raced at lancaster and i am hoping that this will be my first summer there, ive only watched

i think a drift course to go along with the 1/4 mile would be amazing

I must have missed the part where it says he’s doubling the purse for class winners.

Galluzzi says reducing divisions in both the stock and drag programs will concentrate the purse money rather than spreading it out over more classes, which will help drivers

it will be distributed to less classes thus making the prize givin larger

A drift park around here could bring in a good amount of money.