Land Rover Rack and Pinion Rebuild

So before I attempt this myself, has anyone here ripped one of these apart? From what I can tell it seems simple enough. The issue I’m having is with Rack preload, I have a little bit of extra play that started when my lower steering shaft seized up.(thats been replaced) The only thing I can find online is that some corvettes from the 2000s had a similar issue and the cure was to crank down the preload nut and then back off like 50°.

Sorry man, I’m no help here. But RangeRovers.net is a good resource… when people actually post. Most forums are dead now-a-days.

Thanks, i checked them out with no luck.
The piece I might need is circled below, however this kit cost $370. At that point I should just spend $700 on the rack.
Capture

Call https://www.roverparts.com/ and tell them what you need. They might be able to get you specifically that part.

Also try the local guys: https://www.lucky8llc.com/

Thanks, no luck from either. Modding and maintaining these things is like owning a unicorn.
Once I pull the rack apart and I’ll post what i find.

Well if anyone interested it wasn’t the rack, the spider on the lower steering column has 4 shear rivets coupling the universal to the shaft, all of them were loose allowing slop in the wheel. I just replaced this a year ago because the original was seized. Fixed it and only used two arms of the spider, effectively stiffening the steering some. Now i just need an alignment…

I want pics!!! if it’s not too late

Annotation%202019-03-13%20095153

Unfortunately I didn’t take pics of mine but the two red arrows are the rivets that were loose and the blue is the rubber spider. I drilled out the rivets and rotated the universal and reassembled using the spider as a bushing. A poly version of this spider would probably be a nice upgrade on these trucks, the rubber on this spider is very soft.

1 Like

So ended up replacing the entire lower shaft this weekend. After fixing the loose rivets the upper portion of the collapsible shaft started developing play.

I’m learning that OEM parts are the way to go with land rover.
I had issues with aftermarket bags.
I had issues with aftermarket wheels.
And now this.
Comparing the OEM column to the aftermarket there is a noticeable difference in the build quality. The OEM unit is also more than twice the price.

I went with aftermarket bags on my L320 because they had a lifetime warranty. Actually had to use it once too. Didn’t cover labor though.

Who did you go through?
I got mine through Suncore. They are leaking through the top retainer nut after less than a year.

I did Arnott bags on our Allroad and they were great. Im assuming they also do LR bags.

dan

I’ll look them up @LUC1F3R. I can’t remember off hand.

@LUC1F3R I looked though all my records and for some reason I don’t have my invoice for the air bags.

@bracketracer would know the name of the brand, but he may be too traumatized by the experience to remember, lol.

They have to be Arnotts

2 Likes

Thanks,
If suncore wont warranty mine I will be getting Arnotts.
Getting that airline back in is a royal pain in the arse eh?
I recently added fittings to make it easier and I think arnott has a new design as well.