Steering Rack/Tie Rods

Has anyone installed a rack before?

I’m only looking to get a basic idea how difficult this would be to do.

I’ve already done struts, upper strut mounts, wheel bearings, brakes etc… myself.

This is on a 2001 Cavalier Z24 if it helps any.

On a side note, how difficult is it to install Tie Rods? I just had my outer tie rods done, and was curious if I spent $ to have someone do something I could have done myself…

not sure about the rack, but tie rods are pretty simple to do. u just need the fork to pop them out, and they bolt right in. just make sure u mark where the old one was for allignment purposes.

It’s kind of scary that you have to replace your steering rack already.

Kevin, thanks for the input, Next time, I’ll give it a shot myself.

Corey, the rack is fine, the INNER tie rods are part of the rack, which is why it has to be replaced.

That’s lovely. Don’t feel too bad–my mom’s Stratus had each tierod replaced about 3 times.

You would be suprised. Late model J body’s are my best seller on the steering and susp sales list. It also helps that there are 1,232,753,465,367,123.9 of them on the road in WNY. I have never done one though so I can’t help you with that.

And I’m sure you sell more than enough front wheel bearing assy’s too. The OEM unit doesn’t come with a front O-ring, or rear seal, which caused mine to fail. :slight_smile:

Thankfully, aftermarket units provide you with a rear seal and front O-ring.

Joe, the Rack DOES come with the inner tie rods attached, right?

I just wanna make sure the guy that did my outer tie rods wasn’t bullshitting me.

My bro’s cavy (2002 i think) wore out the upper strut mount in the rear alrady… That’s kinda depressing. Sounds like the suspension components on these cars are made like shit.
OT: I’m glad that Dale JR drives one… maybe he’ll DIAF when his strut mount dies.

True the suspension sucks, however, that’s not cool.

Dale Jr is pretty cool, I read a few interviews with him :tup:

well when paco and i attempted whitenblues clutch we had to drop the k-frame and with the k-frame came the steering rack. you dont have to drop it completely but lower it a wee bit, there are two plastic sleeves that NEED to stay in place inorder for the rack to stay nice and snug on the rack, if you want i can give you a hand with it, its not too hard, but time consuming

Maybe

Depends on the car, took me about 5 hours to the taurus, verify similar to the above instructions for the audi. Should be easier on your car though.

Oh I’m not too surprised since it is a Cavalier, afterall. I mean, they just don’t feel all that great so I can’t imagine how they are designed.

it’s not too bad if you have a lift…thats the only way i’ve done them. strut mounts on a cavy, hahaha. thats all of 15 minutes of work for both fronts.

just remember kids, you HAVE to do an alignment after you tie rods inner or outer. and mark them so you can kind of get it to spec so when your doing the alignment you dont run out of threads. lol

As obvious as that is…I know some people that overlook that.

I gota replace the rack on my Probe, ill help u…u help me…deal? lol

I’m picking up the rack monday, then as soon as it’s done, which will hopefully be Monday, I’m putting it in the shop for an alignment, then I gotta bring my core in.

I might be in need of some help… and if not, I’d still be willing to help you out bro, when you doing your rack?

when i get that damn parts car here lol

:rofl: Well let me know you lazy ass.

I’m off Every Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. And off Every other Monday. So if you plan it right, and get your damn parts car, we can have like 3 straight days to work on it, if needed.

Also, buy a probe Haynes car repair manual from JSkrapper, if you don’t already have one.