LCD monitor question

I am shopping for a new LCD monitor and I am down to two different models.

Here they are:
this 19"

and this widescreen 19"

the widescreen has a rating of 5ms and the regular had a rating of 8ms. what does this “ms” unit decribe? is a higher or lower number better?

this is pretty much the only thing holding me back from making a decision.

milliseconds… i would take the non widescreen… even though its 8ms…

you really only need those fast response times with video games… if you are a big gamer… neither would be a good choice

i actually don’t care for video games too much, especially on the computer. So a 5ms monitor has a faster response time than an 8ms, right? the lower number is better?

The 5ms rating is probably Grey to Grey… Unless they really have true 5ms LCD’s out…

Best I’ve heard black to black was 6ms and on very high end screens.

viewsonic, meh…if you’re only using it for basic computing, check out a westinghouse, i got mine a little over a year ago for under 200 shipped and the picture is crystal clear.

awesome. thanks for all of the help folks. i am going with the non-widescreen!

Edit: the shipping is free on the widescreen one making it less than the non-widescreen.

one other issue that i ran into, my video card does not go to the maximum screen resolution that the widescreen works well at. it goes to super high resolutions for non widescreen monitors and goes to the correct maximum resolution for the non-widescreen.

I still think i am going with the non-widescreen. at this point is seems like the best bet.

What graphic card do you have?

I used to have a 19" LCD, then i upgraded to a 21" widescreen HD, could not have been happier. I love widescreen.

An ATI radeon 7000 series. it has been a long time since i installed it, so i can’t remember the exact model. It has an S-video out i run to my TV for watching videos full screen. the quality is like cable tv.

Office Depot is running a nice deal on a 21" widescreen.

Samsung 215TW,$399 with a $100 MIR. = $299.

This mointor has Composite,Component,S-Video,DVI,VGA and Speakers.

I picked one up and its VERY pimp.