Leatt STX On Road Neck Brace - Video Intro

The on road neck brace was launched back in February at the dealer expo and it has been generating a lot of buzz mostly among tracday/racing community.

While this is just a feature video review and not a field test review, it however did a great job of explaining the brace and its features. I know STT is running trackday with a bunch of these for people to test ride with, so there will be a bunch of field test reviews from many different sportbike forums. My main concern is still the range of motion at full tuck and lean.

Product site: http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php/choose-your-sport/street/leatt-stx-road

Not affliliated with revzilla in any way, but they do have the best video so far covering the product. Enjoy! :thumbup

youtu.be/j1hPZYxMspo

I have been seriously looking into this as an item to be included with my open air version of the smaller kit car. I had planned to include a hans/dfender with the car in that configuration due to the requirement to wear a helmet with it while driving, but this has been a very promising option as well. Comfort and mobility in a seated position would be my interest, and I’d be looking for a place locally that has one for fitment purposes where I can bring in one of the core seats of the car and sit in it with this device and helmet in place.

I’ve been running into some issues with the hans and defender due to the layback angle of the seat I’m making for the cars. Varying angle options are available for the devices, but none are really suited to the particular angle this car will eventually have. Comfort has been the issue the issue.

I see what you are saying, but I don’t know man. Hans/Dfender type head and neck protection is designed to work in a cockpit environment and in unison with hardness.

3 major issues I can see right off the bat with the Leatt’s STX being used in a cockpit (sitting) position are the scapula wings will pinch the back of the driver with the amount of pressure applied when harness is in place. The back helmet support that sticks out like a spoiler (profile view) will also impede with any bucket type race seat where the seat back is high. Also, depending on driving position, in a single seater application where the driver is pretty much laying down, the front support of the STX may very well be in the way of the chin of the helmet.

As far as bikers go, track maybe but I predict you wont see many if any on the street.

Entirely accurate and what I was thinking myself, just still wanted to look into it regardless. In the end I may just have to bring the lay angle back up a bit to conform with one of the current hans angles even though this creates mandatory changes in body/roll hoop specs and min rollover clearances on the chassis. Was my big mistake for not taking this into account prior to getting this far in it.

I find it strange that on revzilla’s site, on the product page there is not a single line about what that thing is actually supposed to do, how well does it do it and why you should spend $400 on it. I can only assume it has something to do with protecting against neck injuries, but how often do these even occur in motorcycle accidents? What kind of certification does it have if any? Seems like a very expensive and high-tech looking piece of snake oil.

Revzilla site won’t have the info you are looking for. Checkout the manufacturer’s site and read up on the company’s history and the “Alternative Load Path Technology” concept of the brace.

This is pretty much the equivalent of the HANS device but is developed for motorcycle (they do have a kart mode). The device has won many international safety awards and is CE certified.