Let's talk Cressida's

Ok…so I sold my beater before moving over here to Australia but I’ll be back as of November sometime. I obviously need another beater to get back and forth to work and such. I’ve been looking into Toyota Cressida’s as a beater…but I have heard in the past that there are really bad headgasket problems (improper torque from the factory??) and really weak trannys. Also…I believe they only come in auto? I’ve read somewhere that there was a manual variant but I’m not sure…is there anyone who has more experience with these cars?

The inproper torque is a issue after 87. Pre 87 had 5mge engine, which is bullet proof. 7mGE cars were 88+ they have the headgasket issues

just buy a camry if you need a beater. cheap and reliable

Q45 for the win…

cressidas can be great daily’s, just dont buy lemons . ive owned both the mx73 and currently a mx83. if anyone has real info and opinions on these cars on these boards, that would be me. if you need to know the nitty gritties on the cressidas just shoot me a pm.

MX73 is so much better looking IMO. the boxy old-skool-ness of it, lowered, with a 5-speed swap, front-mounted oil cooler, blast pipes, and some Hoshinos or SSR reverse-mesh or some shit…golden.

^Agreed

I bought a beater cressida for 300 bucks and the thing was nothing but good to me…Untill I got into a accident drifting and proceeded to get mad and over heat it. other then that…they are awesome. Telescopic steering on mx83 lmao.

4 doors for more whores. :wink:

If you’re able to find an old celica supra or 1986+ supra you can use that for the 5speed swap, as it’s all the same thing.

The 88+ cressida can be picked up for fairly dirt cheap, make sure the hg was done on it. They’re super plush comfy cars with neato sliding HVAC/radio controls.

Seems that all older large toyotas go through rear struts so look for that too.

Fuck the struts. Cut the springs. :wink:
There is a Cressida just down the road from me that is in amazing shape for 600 bucks I think I’m going to score it again for the winter and throw my battles on it baha. Cut springs and slotted front strut tower…for camber :slight_smile: So hack…love it.

haha i cant wait till you get another one keez lol