Local Datacenters?

Trust me on this…from a support perspective, low paying customers are always the biggest pain in the ass.

Also, I think that shared hosting is more profitable than VPS hosting if done right. People who buy a VPS usually do so to support a growing site or something of that nature. Get enough of those people and your node will soon be overloaded before you see much profit.

On the other hand, managed dedicated can be a money-maker but it also requires a good amount of investment up front.

You’ll have to call and find out. I wasn’t a part of that department, so I’m not sure what they offer.

Tell them Jeff Bray referred you, and was one of the Techs downtown working with Lynne. I was only there for two months, but I’m sure they’d appreciate knowing I still think about 'em.

It works fine…just need to change a few little things…

Check out enswitch

If you want the company I work for can quote you…VMs and hosting physical servers…

I have been doing hosting since I was 16 (23 now). Started running dedicated doing game servers and put in charge of support and sales for a company for shared hosting and game servers. Also wrote web control panels and config generators for them. Got out of it and sold off my customers to another company and then worked backwards into shared hosting. Pretty much bought a server and had more space on it so gave off accounts for shared at low profit margin to pretty much pay for the server.

From there I started selling unmanaged was great to cover server costs since not only did it boost my reseller discount that I paid for them inturn giving me more profit on ALL my servers but then allowed me to add managed servers to the linup and get twice the profit.

My big money maker is doing manged application servers which is now what i am looking to expand. Remote backup solutions, etc. Like I said, I am picky on my customers which is why the site doesn’t allow people to come in and sign up. I don’t host image galleries or other crazy intensive sites. Just a few business pages and student groups.

My original post was to see how much it would be to buy my own servers and host them locally to cut out my onsite support people and also virtualize all the servers into one bigger one to cut maintenance.