Hosting software?

I am working on setting up a couple Linux boxes for hosting…I don’t use CPanel or anything but I am trying to extend hosting to my friends who are less technical.

Any ideas on software to install to let them manage their own domains hosting/email.

Preferably free or something I can download from a torrent…

I might try this http://www.molesoftware.com/www/index.php?i18n=en&pid=1&title=Products&sub=4

For free, VHCS might be your best bet, but there’s also webmin. If you do decide you want to shell out a little cash, DirectAdmin is pretty cheap and works great.

I own a hosting company also and we use a customized version of DirectAdmin :smiley:

I’ve got room for some colo boxes and I’ll have VPS availability soon if you’re interested? I’d be able to get you a cheap DA license.

I hope you’re not looking to host these servers from your house…

Same. DirectAdmin is dirt cheap if you get the code 500 VPS licenses :slight_smile:

Even a lifetime dedicated server license will run you under $100.

From reading some of his previous posts, I’m pretty sure he knows what he’s doing…

yea dude I got two 56k modems and a Pentium 2 box! It’s gonna be sweet!

I might be interested in a VPS depending on where you host it and what carriers the data center peers with…

I manage a data center in Amherst…we also have rack space at 1 Wilshire…

I am shopping around for VPSs for personal use, outside projects, and what not…I am trying to keep this separate from work though as I might use them for profit.

That’s pretty cool :slight_smile: I’ll shoot you an IM or PM.

I was just checking. You said you were trying to get something set up for your friends, so I didn’t know how far into it you were looking to go. It’s a car forum, so I don’t know what kind of things people are into other than cars :wink:

We have a bunch of huge nerds on here :nerd:

I guess I was just assuming, so I apologize :slight_smile:

ISPConfig

Been running it since version 2 and have not had a problem on my CentOS servers. Its free too so it lacks some features but hey, it saves me money and my customers really like it. I run it on a OpenVZ container dedicated to my shared hosting accounts too. I have started to hack around it on another VM so hopefully I get it tweaked how I want

I ended up getting a VPS with Slicehost. The bandwidth is good and I haven’t had any downtime (but it’s only been 2 weeks).

They’re geared towards developers and it’s a pretty simple set up. They have some basic web software to let you hard/soft reboot the VM and see some basic stats. There’s also an AJAX based console and a controller for DNS. That’s it, the rest is whatever you want to do on the box. You’re reponsible for your own firewalling, services, etc. You have to know how to run a box, but I think you’re all set there :wink:

They also have some scripts that email you if your VM is paging too much, to give you a heads up that some of your stuff should be tweaked.

What type of resources are you looking for? I have spare stuff on one of my servers if you wanna go halfsies

I don’t know yet everything just came together this weekend…

I have a VPS in Dallas with 1500Gb a month…

I am firing up a VM in Cali with 20meg unlimited transfer…

I have enough interest from friends to cover costs on the server in Dallas…The one is Cali is free…I am trying to add something on the east coast.

Mine is in PA at Quonix. I have servers coming online this month too in LA, Dallas, NYC, and another in PA to accommodate some cloud storage for a few people.

How about the DC area…

:lol: Yea whats the smallest pod I can rent

From us… 2500 sq ft in our new site lol, but for a VPS I have a hook up for you if interested.

Stop being a cheap ass and get a real control panel. I feel bad for your customers since you can’t even justify paying for something as important as a control panel.