web hosting

Umm - dunno, weird that I find myself asking this as I run numerous websites for work… but I think we overpay for certain things that I don’t really care about.

Those of you that have websites what hosting do you use? I basically just want a place to host some files, mess around and have basically an online portfolio of various work/projects I’ve done.

I don’t need tons of advanced applications or anything, probably just basic PHP, MySql, and since I’m kind of a web developer noob it would be nice to have some kind of simple admin interface.

Was leaning towards godaddy, hosting options look pretty cheap and seem to have what I need.

I use 1and1 but it’s just to host files, I don’t use any of the other stuff. No problems and it’s cheap.

nice, thats even cheaper - has the basic things I need too :tup:

If you are on OT check this out

5GB disk, 100GB transfer, unlimited domains, $3/mo

I can post details if you aren’t on OT

i like aplus.net

a dude that I work with can hook you up. www.precisioneffect.com

I’ve been with midphase for over 5 years now, and never a single problem.

I use Dreamhost.com. It’s got all that you want, ~$7 per month and you get a free domain with the hosting purchase as well as free reign over dns, etc.

if that is the site you use to host a few files that i downloaded from you i might sign up for that cause that has nice speed

In for more opinions. Looking for the same things.

I’ve got GoDaddy with a couple af extras and it’s been 100% great. I think the basic is $6.95? I upgraded a few things and am at $9.95 with a discount for paying a year up front. I think it worked out to be closer to $7.95/mo? I have 3 domains.

It takes a little bit to get used to their interface, but once you go through it once it’s fine.

Never an issue, never a slow down or outage. No glitches whatsoever.

+1 for dreamhost

mediatemple… great hosting, but not nearly the cheapest.

pm’d

One of the marketing companies I do contract work for is in the middle of moving all of their clients off of mediatemple. Over the last few months they have really gone downhill - it has been slow as sin, and down for maintenance it seems like every other night. I have problems with our sites that are still on there ALL the time.

pmed

What type of hosting? The (gs) has brief downtime here and there, but nothing worth talking about…

We have several “Turbo’s” at (mt) - The top tier they offer, even better than Nitro and not listed on the website. We haven’t experienced any issues.

The problem is that people think they can get away with running mission critical websites on basic hosting and have it be secure and reliable. Mission Critical = $$$

There is a reason that companies like: Starbucks, ABC, Sony, Diesel, Adidas, Techcrunch, Adobe, and some of the top web design firms in the country host with them…

We also considered Rackspace, but they were twice as expensive, and have had some issues lately.

I was all about signing up for 1and1 until I saw some reviews - holy hell they have a lot of pissed off customers lol.

I actually use dreamhost for a few of our sites at work, they are pretty good. The only issues I had with them was because I don’t let them manage my DNS, if I had managed DNS there I wouldn’t have too many issues at all. They have way more space and such than I need really though.

I can appreciate that and that is why for work I use not ‘basic’ hosting, but for my personal site I really don’t consider it to be mission critical at all. Looking for basic hosting with decent space, decent included apps b/c im a noob, and low cost.

Any files that I have linked to download are all off my dreamhost site. Their speed is fantastic.

denetron.com