Looking At A 97' Eclipse GSX

well my buddy is looking at one and he wants me to go look at it with him(since he doesnt know much about cars). I’m just curious if anyone knows what the common problems are with the gsx? it’s a DSM, so it’s most likely always going to be broken :stuck_out_tongue: basically what stuff should I look for when I’m checking the car out with him? I already know the obvious stuff like mileage, tune-ups, aftermarket work/parts, rust, body damage, … and def gonna have the guy start the car and look under the hood. anything else I should know before I go look at the car?

DSM VFAQS: What to look for in a DSM

Follow the list in order.

Run

:bsflag:

bring a leash

My car has well over 100K and is very dependable. Its all in the care and maintenance.

Now that I’m really going full bore into modding it though, I’m sure the reliability factor will be going down the tubes. But that is the case with any car that is modded. There is usually a decrease in the reliabilty.

97 is the worst year for engine reliability, AKA the most frequent crankwalk year. Steer clear or have a 6bolt waiting to go in…

CORRECTION - 1998 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE GSX
Here’s what the dude said about the car … asking price = $9,300

Its a 1998 GSX all wheel drive turbo

Upgrades:
-Venom EC 400 computer upgrade
-Injen polished aluminum cold air intake
-Thermal Research Exhaust 3" mandrel bent polished stainless steel
-ACT 2600 performance clutch (Handles 400hp)
-Unorthodox racing super light weight under drive pulley (polished aluminum)
-Aftermarket Boost Gauge
-Short Shifter
-Aftermarket Air / Fuel Ratio Gauge
-Polished aluminum Injen spark plug cover
-Valve cover Painted to match car
-Custom aluminum trim dash
-Polished aluminum gauge bezel
-Red leather shift boot
-Aluminum racing petals
-Gauge trim painted to match the car
-White face gauges
-White face HVAC controls
-Purple fusion headlights
-White corner markers
-Alteza taillights
-Door graphics (removable if desired)

Replaced:
Turbo assembly
Top end / lifters
Timing belt
Auxiliary belts
Water pump
Front wheel bearings
Tie rod ends
Ball joints

Options:
5- speed manual
Leather
Power seat
Moon roof
Turbo Spoiler
AC
Pretty much everything

With everything I did with car I always was planning ahead for the next step of upgrade. This Car is a very nice very fast car as it is. But if you plan
to contue building it, all the upgrades I’ve done should have no problem handling anything you want to do. I never wanted to have to re- upgrade a
part because I didn’t buy the best one the first time. Its got well over $6000 in upgrades. I’ve had this car about 4 years and have never had a problem with it. Its VERY strong running, and in very good condition. I’ve done my best to keep it out of salt and snow. I change the oil every 3000 miles with Mobil One
synthetic. The turbo is currently pushing 14 PSI. Stock I believe they run about 9 psi. This car was in beautiful condition when I bought it and I’ve
done my best to keep it that way.

For 12k, you can buy mine. :smiley:

I’m not looking to buy one … my friend is …

Ok. Then your “friend” can buy mine for 12k. :smiley: