Looking for a good campground

I’ve done all the state campgrounds around here so I’m looking for something a little different. I’m looking for something rustic, shady, and within 50 miles of buffalo.

When I lived in South Dakota we had much better campgrounds. These state parks here are just too commercial for my likings.

Have you tried camping just on state land and not in the parks

I used to work at sleepy hollow lake when i was a kid. I have fond memories of there and it does fit the bill of what you’re asking for.

They have a man made lake all different areas to camp there.

are you saying that you want to REALLY camp. Like be by yourself, secluded? Kuz the adirondacks are really the only thing that fit that bill around here, and possibly sleepy hollow. Other than that ur gonna have to drive pretty far. Only othe place i can think of that ive been to that is like that is algonquin provincial park in canada. But thats like 3 hours.

I’m not familiar with how to go about doing that or where to go. I don’t want to trespass or do anything illegal. Do you have any more information?

Ideally… but I know that won’t be likely around here. I just don’t want a campground that is just a road with 500 gravel pads right on top of each other

I’ll look into them, Thanks

a little further than your asking distance, but Palmers Pond in Alfred NY is phenominal. hard to find (just past Pollywog Holler) but well worth it.

^ +1, we camped in Wellsville (close to Alfred) on a piece of land my friend owns, and it was awesome. Very remote.

arrowhead on route16?

Im at 4 mile creek in lewiston now. Its clean, but wide open an not private. My parents and gparents booked it. I prefer the likes of watkins glen. The privacy is superb there, trees and trees in between every lot and such… Very nice

Sleepy Hollow!

It sounds fantastic this time of year!

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=67086&catid=37

Definitely not the place to go when you’re making 200K a year like you are.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r75/tl3c7y/allow-me-to-dredge-some-care.jpg

<3

hmm now I want to go there even more… sounds exciting

pmed

tee fucking up. One of my favorite places to go camping. That and hanging bogs are both absolutely amazing!

Oh and sleepy hallow isnt camping! thats like an outdoor redneck resort. Camping to me is out in the wilderness, secluded, not sleeping in a tent or camper 15’ away from another site.

We used to put the boat in at onoville marina, float into PA and camp on the side of the reservior. It was awesome except that whole shit in the woods thing, and the bears.

http://www.classicbuffalo.com/WNYOutdoors/EastOtto.htm

^^some good pic on this site

Located off Traffic Street and the Kriedeman Forest Road is the East Otto State Forest. There are many hiking trails, camping areas, ponds, woodlands, a brook, and wildlife here. This land of rolling hills, wetlands and timber are great habitat for many animals. Hiking, fishing, snowmobiling, cross country skiing and snowshoeing are popular recreational activities here. No target shooting is allowed in these areas.
[LEFT]There is also an excellent hiking trail south of Traffic Street. Look for the yellow gate barrier. The hike leads you thru some hilly wooded areas and to several small ponds[/LEFT]
[/qote]

http://wnyhiker.lefora.com/2008/03/04/east-otto-state-forest-new-york/page1/

[quote]
The East Otto Forest is a NYS Forest with some designated primative campsites along the only road that runs its full length down the middle of the Forest. There is no charge for using the campsites. There is no portable water or electric. There are no bathroom facilities.
The forest is between Traffic Road (also known as “Nine Holes Road”) on its south and Zoar Valley Road on its north. I do not think that you can access the forest from the north. As far as I know, the only access is from Traffic Road on the south side of the forest. Utley Brook runs from south to north in the eastern section of the forest and Waterman Brook runs from south to north-west in the western part of the forest.
In addition to the designated campsites, camping is allowed anywhere in the forest that is more than 150 feet from any road, pond, or stream. There are no official trails although there appear to be several herd trails used by hunters in the fall. Bushwacking the length of the park is possible (approximately 2 miles in length) and will include a few streams, a pond, and several small hills and gullies.
It affords an opportunity to spend a night backpacking in a relatively secluded area.
It is a ten mile drive from Springville. Here are the directions.
From Springville, NY 14141 go south on US-219 [S Cascade Dr] for 4.7 miles
Turn RIGHT (West) onto Connoisarauley Rd for 0.1 mi
At near Brooklyn, stay on Connoisarauley Rd (West) for 1.5 mi
Bear RIGHT (West) onto CR-12 [E Otto Rd] for 1.2 mi
Bear RIGHT (North-West) onto Hammond Hill Rd for 0.2 mi
Turn LEFT (West) onto Utley Rd for 0.8 mi
Turn LEFT to stay on Utley Rd for 0.5 mi
Turn RIGHT (West) onto Traffic St for 1.2 mi
Arrive at East Otto Forest entrance on Traffic St, Cattaraugus, NY