Looking for advice on 97-01 Honda Preludes

I’ve been looking for a new car and came across the 97-01 Honda Prelude. I have always liked the way they looked. I drove one this past weekend and it drove very nice, but the interior looked like it was made in the early 90’s which sucked. The car was in fantastic shape on the outside and the underside had barely any rust. The only other thing that bugs me is the small trunk. I’m used to having a hatch so going to a trunk would be a negative.

What are people’s opinion’s of the car? Is there anything I need to look out for? I’ve already been told to stay away from ATTS because of all the problems with the system.

Thanks,
Jeff

they seem to hold up well. but are pricey if you have to replace a motor. found that out recently. thye seem plagued with oil leak that is easily fixed but keep eye on oil.

My buddy has a red one for sale with like 60k for $6K I think…red…PM me if interested

ive read if you want to build a drag car go for the base, if you want to autox it go for the SH

what type of oil leak are you talking about and how cheaply/easily is it fixed?

sorry, not interested in a red one.

i’m just looking to use the car as a DD. i have an integra for track duty.

You have that backwards…sort of. The SH is the worst model to track…ATTS is a nightmare at speed.

i belive the reasoning in the article i read was that engine mods on the sh were difficult due to availbility of parts for that particular model. I could be wrong though, it has been a while

You are right about that part…I was referring to the suspension stuff, specifically the way it handles at high speed/load

there is a oil crush gasket that is behind oil sending unit. think it is 25 cents from honda. for some reason i have had to replace a few of them. easy to get to and replace.

ahh…thats sucks that such a small part can kill the engine.

In my experience, Ive never had any large, out of the ordinary honda problems. I wouldnt be scared of those gens at all.

I had an 01 prelude and it was a great dd. Definately not a race car. I liked it because you don’t see them as much as the other hondas.

sh isnt really for autox. they are kind of a pain with mods and the atts can cause problems. its just a nice model if you want a stock fwd car with pretty good handling.