Looking for advice

From all of you pittspeed fitness experts.

Here is the deal, the whole family is taking to fitness for the new year. Our basement doesn’t offer enough height to buy a full gym unit. Although there is plenty of space for free weights, bench, and some mats, ect. So, in your opinion, would we be better off putting money into a gym membership, or buyingthe free weights, bench, and acces. for home use? We have a middle school running track less than a .5 mile from our house, that is open 24/7.

Or do you see another option?

Gym Memberships are expensive. You can get a good workout in your living room if you have the will and the motivation. It never hurts to get a set of free weights and start looking online for routines.

we have one at fitness 19
joint account, she pays $19/mo I pay $14/mo
not that expensive

We do have the Wii, but I have heard that the wii fit is more a balance act than a workout? I’m I wrong. I lifed for years, several years ago, got a kid, got married, and sort of gave it all up. Now that my 15 year old son is looking to bulk up, and my wife that sort has pack on a few with child birth ( here excuse not mine) wants to get into shape (other than round), we are looking for options.

If I could find a deal like that around here, it would be a no brainer. The best i can come up with is $45.00 for the 3 of use, with another $150.00 tacked on for joiners fees’, and another ~$40.00 for membership cards. And even then my son can only use equipment on tues. and thurs. evenings from 5-8pm, and othing on weekends. Although they are open early enough that I can go before work, but the wife hates getting up at 4am, so I’m kinda screwed on that idea too.

I think it’s harder to make excuses for not going when the equipment is in your house, but that all depends on the person. Having a kid that isn’t old enough to be home alone, going to the basement also makes things easier.

wii fit is mostly balance, but will help core objectives.

Buy dumbells, some plates, olympic and curl bar and a nice ass bench. that you can decline, incline, etc.

use the track for walking and running…

everything should be covered that you really want to do

x2 on everything he said…Wii fit will kick your ass with pushups though…If you stick with it, you will see improvements.

I say gym membership, you’re going to sink a good chunk of cash into buying stuff to have at your place. If things don’t work out and you stop using the equipment, unless you got the stuff dirt cheap you probably wouldn’t get much money back. But if you went with a gym membership you are more prone to go because you’re paying monthly for something. I know personally just dropping whatever (I think I pay Ballys like $38 a month) it makes me want to go so I actually get my money’s worth. In addition by joining a gym, you’re going to have MANY more options as to what you can actually do.

gym membership… go to fitness 19… I pay $21 total for me and my fiance and i got us both signed up with 0 membership dues. if you put a few things in your basement you will most likely get bored doing the same routine with limited options and you will probalby quite after a month or so. at the gym theres more choices so you can mix it up and keep it :somewhat: interesting

He lives in East ka bum.

Start a bet/fitness club/competition or something like that with coworkers. A bunch of people at work set their own fitness goals. We made a chart where you put a sticker on each week that you met your goals. It actually made a difference when everyone else could see if you didn’t do what you were supposed to!

o haha… then equip all the way. cause i wouldnt go spending a fortune on a membership. look on craigslist… theres equipment allt he time… and you could probably pickup a cheap treadmill or something too.

I joined Fitness 19 stayed there about 6 months and hated it. Personally, unless you are really just doing cardio I though it kinda sucked. Don’t get me wrong the price is incredible but with no locker room/shower/pool/classes/ its limited.

Really? maybe the one by you sucks? i dont do any cardio whatsoever and think its great. I used to belong to Club Julian, and paid 90 between us two and it had all teh pool shit, but the free weight room was smaller than my closet. bunch of treadmills and elipitcals and the rest was steam rooms/ saunas/ pools…

i admit though i did like the steam room when i was sick. other than that all that shit is a waste of money.

these are questions only you can answer. Free weights + cardio + sensible eating will do everything you need. I for one like to go to a gym because once I’m there I will tend to work out for much longer, while if I’m at home there are too many distractions and I tend to quit easier. But then again I have like zero willpower, so…

I went to the one in Castle Village (South Hills), I’m not sure if the one in the North Hills is any different, I never went into that one.

Kinda exactly what I was thinking myself. The whole zero willpower is me for sure. And sensible eating, in theory sounds great, might even be great for me, but then there is the wife that will start for a while, then a month later the junk food is back, and me with the whole zero willpower thing,:blah::blah::blah::blah:

But I do know that I want to lose 40lbs, this up coming year. Then I will only be a medium fat ass, instead of the current big fat ass. And my son wants to bulk up for wrestling and football.

So it seems to me, I’m sort of answering my own question, as we each have different goals, a gym may be better suited.

honestly, working out at home is easier but doesnt drive me enough for that extra rep. going to a gym, for me at least, sometimes can give me that extra motivation for another set or rep because im with friends or other people. even though its not a competition, if i make it out to be in my head then i find i can push myself harder.

and if working out at home is what you choose, if your trying to maybe get some strength while shedding some pounds, you should really look into some body weight stuff as well as benches and weights. weights are always good, but i know plenty of guys that can bench 250 ( 18 year olds) and barely do a couple pull ups. look into some bosu balls and medicine balls to help out your core, along with lifting weight. push ups, sit ups, squats, balancing, calf raises, there are really endless things to do on a bosu ball and will really be great for your body

simple cardio, eating better and drinking water will do wonders… as for taking some pounds off and getting in shape, simple things like jumping jacks, pushups, squat lunges back and forth and so on, when done consistently, will return good results. the rest of your workout can be free weights and walking with the wife. I personally am not a jogger, i can run maybe a mile and i’m beat… however doing cardio will get similar results (at least for my concern) and is ‘easier’ for me. I say get mats and try a good workout and just be consistent. drink a good amount of water to work the metabolism and you’re golden.

join a gym for a few months, i know most ymca’s offer 3 and 6 month memberships. it is around $40 a month, but if you stop after 3 months, you only lost $120 or so. if you like it, join for longer. i used to lift at home, but gyms have a lot more to offer, as well people to help you out. once you are there, you will get to know people, and can find many ways to work on your routine.