Looking to an meticulous trim/roof guy.

To make a long story short, after supposedly doing my research on roofers, and not even picking the cheapest one, I got screwed. I could write a book, but I’ll keep it simple. The job is “done” but I still have no counter flashing on my garage. He tried to tell me I didn’t need flashing at all and that sealing it would be fine. When I told him “no way”, he admitted that the shingles sealed too quick, and he tore them off again to flash. After several poor attempts, he told me to hire someone else to finish, and that he’d pay them, but “they’re never get it as straight as you want it.” The counter flashing was stepped before, and the mortar is notched already, so I want the same thing done. He doesn’t know how. Wants to throw a strip of wavy metal up and seal it, not cutting it into the brick. He tried to cut some tin pieces and failed twice today. This job has been over a month, on a 1200 sqft ranch.

So basically, I need to find the most meticulous trim person I can find to do the job right. I’ll pay them myself and hope he pays me back. He seems real protective of his rep (ha!) and it’s my only option other than court, which I’m not getting into. There are a LOT more screw-ups on this roof. I know that everyone knows a good roofer, has a friend or uncle that does it, etc, and while I appreciate those references, I need someone with a proven track record doing metal trim work. Even better if I can see previous work they did. Even if they don’t do full roof jobs but will do flashing. (I also need a roofer to make sure he didn’t screw anything else up that’s more than cosmetic though.) If I find someone, I’d probably have them do some more metal work to fix the existing fascia, maybe add some more downspouts, etc.

This was his first attempt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33450[/ATTACH]

And this shows where the old flashing used to me. I figured, why not do the same thing, which would cover up any tar stains from the previous owner.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33451[/ATTACH]

Our guys are certified by GAF. Curious about your problem roofer. PM me if you like.

You should step flash the shingles, then use a straight piece over the top of them that is cut into the brick. That is what we did on my chimney. I would get you a pic but it’s raining out right now.

Who did the work? Wasn’t Danny was it?

Thanks, will do.

I’d be fine with a straight piece, but no way I’d let this guy cut into my brick. There’s no going back from that. It’s it a very visible area. And no, he was actually the highest, although I wish I had went with him now.

Got some other bad news for you too…now that I looked closer. He used rake edge instead of drip edge. Water will not run into the gutters but behind them. Hope this isnt the same everywhere. Are you sure this company were “professionals”? Did they tuck ice and water shield behind the gutters? I’m willing to bet there’s no starter shingles either.

um, who so we don’t make the same mistake. terrible.

Where do you stand on payment with this company? Maybe time to get a quote on repairs or proper work redone and bringing that to his attention with some quotes…

No bueno

You need step flashing that goes UNDER the shingles.

You will have issues at your gutters as mentioned.

You will have leaks if it rains before it gets fixed

Hack Job. I would hold payment and notify the BBB

Since its hacked…did you get the shingles you picked or just the color? Did you notice Ice and Water shield go down?

i also need someone to redo a section of my gutters… so bump for you!

Oh lord. I don’t even know the difference. There WAS water pouring behind the gutters till I made them come back and fix it, which involved them adding a strip of metal between the edge and gutter. 15 years experience he says. It’s a real company, unsure of anything else. I’m not sure about ice and water shield or starter shingles but it wouldn’t surprise me.

I’m not naming them until this issue is resolved.

Yup, I paid them, the morning of the “last day” since I was leaving for the day. Stupid stupid stupid. He was going to finish the trim and gutters and tie up loose ends. Then the nightmare began.

They put something down. I’ll post a pic. There is step flashing under the shingles, that’s all that’s on there at this point. If I get a drip or 2 before getting the job completed it’s not a huge deal because it’s just a block wall inside the garage. I got the same shingles I picked, I have a package with a few left.

• Updated - - -

Here’s a thread I made with more details. May as well lay it all out now.

Here is the only “during” pic I have.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33452[/ATTACH]

This was the edging before they nailed it down and added a strip of metal to bridge the gap. I also made them raise the gutters.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33453[/ATTACH]

Fucking hackjob of trimming shingles. (Before they added extra metal.) You’ll notice all of the trim appears to have been smashed with a hammer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33454[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33455[/ATTACH]

Rubber roofing on the attached shed won’t stick on the edges. They tried to fix it twice, and now it’s “fine”. The drip/rake edge is their doing, but not the vinyl fascia. (Shed’s going to be re-done at some point.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33456[/ATTACH]

And guess what? He did my mom’s roof too this year. He also did her neighbor’s roof. It looked fine, they finished quick, cleaned up well, and the boss was always there supervising. I climbed up there today (tri-level house, so it’s tough to see a lot from the ground) to find the same crappy finish work and some improperly installed gutters on the second story. Not as bad as mine though. Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

Dude…NOBODY should be trimming the starter shingle.

On the back of the house, he said the roof is off by a bit, so the first shingle started in the right spot, but gradually they stuck out too far, so he cut them. I’m not sure if that’s true, or the installation was off, I honestly can’t tell by looking at it. How’s this for cutting? This is the back of my mom’s roof that he just did. They overhang 2-3 inches in spots, and don’t overhang out in others. Completely jagged and sloppy. I could have done a cleaner job with a sawzall, drunk. I had to get up there to see this because the tree blocks the view from the ground.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33457[/ATTACH]

I’m not sure if this was done correctly?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33458[/ATTACH]

• Updated - - -

On the back of the house, he said the roof is off by a bit, so the first shingle started in the right spot, but gradually they stuck out too far, so he cut them. I’m not sure if that’s true, or the installation was off, I honestly can’t tell by looking at it. How’s this for cutting? This is the back of my mom’s roof that he just did. They overhang 2-3 inches in spots, and don’t overhang out in others. Completely jagged and sloppy. I could have done a cleaner job with a sawzall, drunk. I had to get up there to see this because the tree blocks the view from the ground.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33457[/ATTACH]

I’m not sure if this was done correctly?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33458[/ATTACH]

How is there step flashing with nothing turned up the wall? Should be a series of L shape pieces starting at the bottom and headed up lapping so the water sheds.

If you are willing to accept leaks after spending any amount of money you picked the right contractor.

There are ways to subtly adjust shingle coursing for edges that are a little “off”. Cutting them is not one of them. You can do what you please with this but I wouldn’t trust either one of these roofs. I’m not sure of their experience level but it simply doesn’t seem like they knew what they were doing. You can tell just the application is suspect, which makes you wonder what else could be wrong. I would consider getting this addressed sooner than later, especially before this guy takes off. As I mentioned previously, I’d be happy to have someone from our office investigate this further. You can rest assured something like this does not happen with our company.

Pretty scary stuff.

After seeing more pics I have some additional questions…

What does the flashing around the chimney look like?

My man-I have nothing but good things to say about the guy I had knock down my chimney, cap it, and make it look like it was never there. He is a legit old school mason and roofer and he does good work. He is the other guy in Eden who walks a Newfoundland, kinda looks like Santa. If you want I can give you his number. That first attempt at flashing is so many levels of wrong I can not express it properly given my 34 years knowledge of the English language except to say “FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!”

Man, that looks really shitty.

Also, I can’t figure out where you were going with the thread title, but it makes me laugh.

Good luck.

Wow man, I did a way better job than that DIYing my roof. Singles should NEVER end flush at the roof line like that. Using proper drip edge the general rule is 1/2" of overhang.

Makes me REALLY curious how many he high nailed as well. Guess you’ll find out in the first big wind storm.

Here is what it looks like now, after he removed the white trim to reveal the flashing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33459[/ATTACH]

Here is the chimney. He re-used the old flashing. I’m sure he fucked this up too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33460[/ATTACH]

1QIKZ, I’ll PM you, I think now I need to just pay someone to look everything over and find everything he did wrong that’s going to cause potential leaks, as/or shorten the life of the roof. I plan on staying here for a while. I’m taking a break from this until Monday so I can cool down.