Anyone do roofing/side work?

So my garage roof is shot and I don’t trust it to last another winter. It’s only a 1 car garage and I’m sure getting a roofing company out here would be a fortune for such a small job. I’d also rather not spend my last week in town up there myself or hire a random off craigslist to case my place. Got the house done a couple years ago with GAF ELK, I would try to buy the same stuff for this job to match it. Anyone interested? Would think one guy could easily tackle it in a weekend, or two guys in a day. Anyone do this type of work or know a guy they could vouch for?

I can hook you up. Do you want tear off or overlay?

Should probably do tear off. It’s real spongy up there.

If you see this at beerfest, text me and we can meet up 5480610

If it’s spongy be prepared to replace the decking.

PM me your #.

Just saw this now. Beerfest escalated quickly.

Bump, so I recently discovered I lost a tiny row of shingles off part of my roof. Looking for suggestions for who to go to for this? I do not feel capable of doing this and would rather have someone who knows what they’re doing replace them. It’s a cape with a small half bathroom addition on it and it’s this addition that has lost a short section of shingles at the edge of the roof. The roof itself is only 7 years old, but I don’t have any info on who did the job back then.

I can look at it if you want. By tiny row, do you mean 1 shingle?

This guy is awesome, just did some work at my mother-in-law’s house in OP for a reasonable price and did a great job

[TABLE=“class: ajC”]
[TR=“class: UszGxc ajv”]
Mike mangino <manginohomeimprovements@gmail.com>
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Here are a couple pics of it.

Who’s the Fuckin butcher who put that roof on? Looks like they left off the starter course for ya. Chainsaw end cuts to complete the butchery.

Oye…no gutters either?

No clue, it was done 7 years ago. I don’t know anything about roofing, but does it look that bad?

No gutters on that small addition. The house is a cape with that addition on the back side of it. There are gutters along the front and back of the house, although those are going to be due for replacing before the end of the year.

I can only assess what I can see in the pictures and what I know based on what I’ve installed. They used rake edge on the dormers, while not what most roofers use (because it gives you no metal overhang edge from the fascia), they never bothered to overhang the shingles a “knuckles width”. It shouldn’t be cut flush with the edge.

Unless it blew off as well, which I kinda doubt, thee should be a starter course of shingles (sometimes 3 tab shingles or starter strip) at the bottom metal edge. This is needed as the first course of shingles would allow water to go between the butt edges right down to your felt paper or underlayment. Many quality roofers will also run this starter course up the vertical edges to the ridge, but it’s obvious this didn’t happen with this crew.

I’m pretty certain they did a tear off but wondering why the shingles, only being 7 years or so old, don’t look like they’re laying very flat.

What 2turbo was trying to convey was that when you have a dormer draining onto a roof below it, the wearing of the lower roof is accelerated. I’ve also suggested to many homeowners who have a downspout dumping onto a roof to install a complete downspout right to the lower gutter to prevent this same type of wear acceleration.

If you’re in Cheektowaga, I think they require a roofing permit. IF one was pulled, it should be on file with who did it. I’m not trying to alarm you but when I start to see certain things, it leads me to believe there could be other issues. I certainly don’t think the first course should be coming off. Usually once a roof seals down, it’s not that easy to have those shingles “peel off” and I’m certainly not accustomed to seeing them come off where yours are.

If you have any more pics, those might be helpful at this stage of the game.

Edit: Now that I look at it again, looks like they didn’t go “knuckles edge” on the eave edge either.

There is no shingle or paper overhang. I think that they took a razor knife across the edges or something.

I would first do what was recommend and run to the town and see if you can pull the permit records for the house. I would be concerned that since there is not even a starter course that there may not be an appropriate ice shield either. The ice shield should extend down under the drip edge to protect against ice damming… But they left off the gutters so that is not a current concern.

The missing gutter is an issue as you are collecting all of the rain water from the roof below and dumping it all in one spot continuously. You can just grab a gutter for like $20 from HD and be done with that issue.

^ All of what Qikz said. If this was a professionally installed job they definitely sent the noob crew.

Re: the lack of gutters on addition. When I moved into my house the gutter from the main roof just dumped out onto the garage roof. Making matters worse the discharge was actually going sideways across the roof instead of making a 90 degree turn so the water would at least be flowing down the shingles instead of across. Ended up having to tear off that section and replace some of the plywood because of course the water found a way under the shingles. After that mess I added a 90 degree turn and a 4’ section of gutter to carry the water down the roof to the garage gutter.

Thanks for the input guys. I will go to the town Monday to see if I can get a permit history and hopefully find out who did the roof. In the mean time, gonna have to get some gutter quotes too. Was thinking of holding off but I may as well look into it now. The wood in some areas is rotting, most likely going to replace with aluminum soffits.

Whats the point of pulling the permits? Are you going to to sue the company that did the work or go after the inspector? I’m willing to bet you wont find any permits.

The guy who’s email I posted above is a great contractor.

Would be nice to know who did this so they don’t burn others.