Anyone do Roofing?

So my house needs a new roof, it already has 2 layers of roof so it needs a tear off. The house itself is like 900sqft with an attached garage, which makes it not as small as it sounds, but to me I always thought its a small house it can’t be that expensive. Its also a ranch, it doesn’t have a steep roof.

I got 2 quotes from people who work at roofing companys and are doing it on the side. First one was for 7k which made my eyes almost pop out of my face. Now I just got a 2nd quote from a guy although he works in the union so I suppose I’m at idiot for thinking it would be cheaper than the first quote, this one was for 10.5k…

I didn’t realize its that expensive now a days to do a roof. I know mainly its more because its a tear off, overall I’m a pretty capable person, I know its hard work but I’m at the point I’ll probably just do it myself with a bunch of friends.

Anyone do roofing on here, or have recent experience paying for a roof to be done?

@2TurboZ might have a recommendation.

He’s commercial and helpless. Let me think on this and get back to you.

As someone who tackled a 2 layer tearoff and re-roof myself years ago hire it out. Fucking sell a kidney if you have to.

Honestly, it wouldn’t have been THAT bad if we wouldn’t have started pulling shingles and realized the builder REALLY cheaped out on the decking and went way too thin on the plywood and we ended up having to re-deck the whole damn thing. All 23 square. I joke about it being the worst weekend of my life but it’s legit up there.

Thanks for the input. If I do it myself I might get a longer air hose for my compressor and a cheap nail gun for the shingles. We will see, I’m not in a huge rush although I hate looking at the one side that has the curly shingles.

It you’ve never done a roof before, don’t attempt it. Your roof is the single most important component of you home. There’s more to it than nailinf shingles down.

Yeah roofing isn’t exactly a DIY, watch YouTube kind of thing. I spent a few summers roofing back in college and I can honestly say that it’s quite the job, especially if it’s a complete tear off and hot out.

I hear ya, thats why I want to wait towards fall so its not as terrible.

gimme a text 7167995907

I have a guy for everything.

My dad was quoted 6 grand for his 4 car garage, this “guy” got it done for less than half.

You need to know the right questions to ask ANY contractor coming out to work on your investment. I believe there was another thread on here some years ago (Airhead?) where another member “chose poorly” and I think he was going to be tearing off a brand new roof. I’m going to stop out there next week to talk with him about it.