Roofing Cost

I’m looking to see if the quote I got seems fair. I’m calling around to get more quotes, but nobody can really get to it till mid next week. I have a 1186sq ranch house, with a 2.5 car attached garage. That garage has a small extension/shed off the back that has a really low pitch. I don’t know how to measure without climbing up there with a tape measure. I’m looking to do gutters, and ridge vents on the house and garage. There are 2 layers that need to come off. I got quoted $10.7 plus $40/sheet/installed for any plywood that needs replacing. (Just some on the shed.) The guy just did my mom’s roof and her neighbor so I know he does a good job. I know costs have really gone up lately, so if anyone is in the trade or just had one done, I’m just looking for approximate price comparisons. Thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32858[/ATTACH]

The back is pretty much the same as the front.

Hard to compare prices without knowing how many square your roof is.

Having started a roof project last spring and getting in over my head I will say I would never attempt to DIY a roof again. My buddies and I ended up tearing 2 layers off the entire house and garage (23 square), redecking and shingling the garage ourselves and I hired out the decking and shingling of the house. Where I lucked out was my neighbor was having his roof done the same weekend and knew the roofing crew doing it so I talked to him and he told them to take care of me.

Where it went wrong was the horrible condition of the roof deck and the fact that some cheap bastard built it with 3/8th plywood. We ended up decking over the entire thing with 7/16ths at the advice of a couple of roofers.

By the time I added up all the supplies, dumpster and hiring the crew I was in for about 7k, which was about 3k under the estimates I saw for doing the whole job. Architectural shingle, 2 courses of water barrier, ridge vent, edge vent, drip edge, couple pipe vent covers and completely re-flash the chimney.

Yeah, I think I’ll just go measure it when it stops raining. I’d rather walk around a slippery roof than do math.:lol:

When I measured your house for quoting purposes, I came up with these measurements:

House: 45’x27’
Garage was 24’x24’

These were for sq. ft. of the house, not taking into account the eaves and obviously the angle will throw this all off, but it gives you an idea…

Adding 5% to those dimensions for overhangs you’re around 19 square. You’re just under $ 563.00 / sq. at (10’ x 10’=100 sf.=1 square). Doesn’t sound overly underpriced. There’s more to a roof than tearoff and re-shingle. Ridge vent only works if soffits are vented and clear of obstructions (attic insulation). Make sure chimney is re-flashed and sealed properly. (2) courses ice / water shield at the eaves and flashing is properly done at the garage roof into the side of the brick… Make sure you get a WRITTEN DESCRIPTIVE proposal and make sure he carries both general liability and worker’s comp. Again, there’s more to a roof than just the price.

Did you say that you are quoted at $10,000 for a roof on a ranch style house.

Thanks guys. I’ve never had anything other than a porch done so I have no basis for comparison. Other people have told me it sounds way too high as well, so I’m getting a bunch of estimates now. Only the shed has a leak, so I’m not in a huge hurry.

My company isn’t “the cheap guys” but it’ll be done right and you’ll be happy, and warrantied.

Called my roofer guy. Tear off,insured, warranty, etc 9500. No more. Just did a new build roof for me if u want to see his work.
D