Looking to Bio-deisel a tractor

Have an old John Deer 4430 - 1972ish - 6 Cylinder Turbo 5.9ish liter

Wanna try Micky D’s grease stuff…

Where do I start looking?

What did you fuckers have to do to go deisel to bio?

www.homebiodieselkits.com

We made a big drum of it the other day. My friend has a neat setup for it.

Have fun with emulsions.

I just met a guy who lives near me who has like 900 gallons of it. Hes using it in his gen 2 (I believe) Jetta.

is he looking to sell some? i would be a regular customer.

as for running bio in the old deere, there are two methods of running bio-based fuels in a diesel.

#1 is Biodiesel. this takes the oil (fresh or waste) and uses a chemical process to remove the glycerine (the sticky stuff in veggie oil) to make it almost as thin as petro diesel. the main problem with this process is there are some nasty chemicals involved. also, sice your tractor is pretty old, it will more than likely need to have the fuel lines changed to a material that isn’t rubber. this stuff breaks down rubber like whoa. site with good info: www.wnbiodiesel.com

#2 is Straight Vegtable Oil (SVO). this is where you have a seperate tank you pour vegetable oil or filtered waste oil, into that has heating elements used to thin the for use by the fuel system. typically you run coolant lines to the tank so it heats up the oil. when you start the engine, you run on dino-diesel for the first 5 minutes or so, then swiich to the grease. there is a company that sells kits to make your vehicle run on this stuff: www.greasecar.com

this book is really helpful: From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank: The Complete Guide to Using Vegetable Oil As an Alternative Fuel: Tickell, Joshua, Tickell, Kaia: 9780970722706: Amazon.com: Books

you can borrow it if you promise to give it back!

one other quick thing, i was at a biodiesel conference in oswego a few months back (yeah i am that big of a geek about this), and i talked a guy who would run a 50/50 mix of filtered waste oil and petrol-diesel in both his tractor and dodge truck with a 12v cummins in the summer with no issues at all. this was really tempting, but i have no desire to possibly ruin my $1200+ injection pump.

omg jj my heart is bleeding with this chemical misinformation.

The glycerine is part of the vegetable oil. veggie oil being a triester. It’s not “in it.” It is it. Glycerol is a byproduct because in hydroxide promoted transesterification it is in equilibrium with the (desired) ester product (biodiesel). You probably see very little glycerol because you use a lot of methoxide. Since hydroxide is a much better nucleophile than water, adding more methoxide will shift the chemical equilibrium towards the side of making more ester and water, as opposed to more glycerol and methoxide. I’ve never actually seen transesterification explained in this depth on the internet. They always make it seem like it’s an absolute. Like frying an egg (which is probably not something you want to bring up at a biodiesel convention as I can imagine). You can’t go back to having an egg after you fry an egg. I mean, you can’t go back to having an uncooked egg. Well, actually, you can’t reverse a hydoxide-ion promoted hydrolysis, either. damnit. chemistry. damnit. If we were talking about acid catalyzed (OMG it really is a catalysis reaction, too! I feel so happy about actually being able to use that word correctly) ester hydrolysis whereby the acid donates a proton to make the ester more reactive then we would be graaaaaaaaavy (and this is the method we have been implementing.)

Mainly, regarding the base method, nucleophiles won’t try to attach to a negative molecule. It’s just not a love party they don’t want to get involved with. Actually there’s a reason. I’m not going into the reason. It would be another paragraph.

:frowning: What did they teach you at this conference! It really doesn’t surprise me (not in a bad way, though). The chemistry of biodiesel isn’t nearly as important as how to make it efficiently, safely and quickly. All the things of which engineers are better suited than chemists to figure out. :slight_smile:

:wtf: since when are you a chemist lmfao. thank god my uncle is up from texas for a few days…he is a bio-chemist…I’ll ask him to explain that paragraph to me :stuck_out_tongue:

as I was typing glycerine i was questioning if i was right or wrong. I really didn’t think anyone would catch me. :meh: I should have looked it up in the book sitting right next to me.

as far as the conference goes, it was ok. it was more for getting people who don’t have a clue into the idea of biodiesel. the woman who ran the part of the show where we all “brewed” our own little 20oz bottle of bio from waste oil showed pictures of her facility in her barn at home and it all looked impressive. then she proceeded to tell us that she had never gone through the process of titration. ever. all she ever used was used oil, and it is my understanding that titration is something you must do to used oil to make sure the PH level is correct. since different types of food were cooked in the oil and how long the oil is used can vary the PH greatly, it is easy for the PH to be off.

I realize the varibles in making biodiesel are very large and many. this is one of the reasons i haven’t gotten into making it myself on a large scale. I would love to run good quality B100, but there is nowhere around here to purchase it.

i did find a local distributer on biodiesel.org. the problem is that they are a distributor, not a retailer, therefore probably won’t sell to me. i havent had a chance to call though, so maybe i will get lucky if i do.

NOCO Energy Corp
2440 Sheridan Dr
Tonawanda, NY 14150 http://www.biodiesel.org/images/mapit.gif [email=“ematikainen@noco.com”]Edward Matikainen, Jim Korczykowski 716-773-8693 B2 & up

two semesters inorganic chem
two semesters organic chem
one semester quantitative analysis
two semesters of instrumental analysis

I can’t believe she didn’t titrate. She’s probably very wasteful by using more methoxide than she really needs to. Now isn’t that ironic.

You can call it glycerine or glycerol. They’re both generic names.

I wish I payed more attention in chem :frowning:

I tryed to buy through NOCO, they will sell drums, but its expensive.

really? how expensive? is it bad because of the initial investment of the whole drum of fuel or breaking it down cost per gallon. I’d still do it if it were close just for the environmental benefits and the fact it lubricates and cleans better than dino diesel.

it would be more practial for car use

Using waste fryer fat requires not only a tank for the waste, but also for diesel The car must first start on diesel, and than swtich over to waste. Problem is, waste grease WILL congeal. What most people do is run coolant hoses around the waste tank to heat up the grease so itll run. Theyre cool, but theyre VERY high maintenance. Clogged hoses, etc.etc.

Unless…

Is the turbo water cooled, or just air/oil?My guess would be more towards air/oil as I dont think water colling would be something an agricultural tractor would do. But if it is water cooled that might be your ticket to getting it to work.

Weve got three tractors ,Massey fergusen 231 diesel, International 706 and a John deere 2010. How did you come about owning a Tractor as Big as that?