Biodiesel guru's

I am looking to find out what is necessary to convert the used cooking oil to usable biodiesel. What I’m thinking is we could convert our diesel compressor to run on biodiesel and we’re thinking we run a biodiesel generator to power our dust collector and also possibly a work truck. Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

whatever it is, its going to initially have to run on diesel, than switch over to cooking oil / bio diesel Not to mention your going to have too have a separate tank for the bio fuel, that and the tank is going to need to be heated to keep the bio fuel from solidifying (either with coolant lines or another source)

IMHO its gonna be a big pain in the ass

Biodiesel does not need a separate tank or need to be heated. You can put it in the tank on anything the runs diesel but it is usually cut a little with regular deisel.
If you want to run them on straight veggie oil it would have to be heated. My friend has made the biodiesel on a small scale at work and we were just approved to buy a large processing setup.

It’s a dumb idea to run straight veggie in this climate if you ask me. Too much effort to try to keep the fuel warm. A blend like slasky suggested is a much better idea.

I’m not convinced it is economically viable to use veg oil if you factor in a reasonable labor rate for time spent screwing with it. But if you use a lot and can make it on a large scale and/or you have lots of free time then it’s certainly viable.

IMO for an application like a compressor its a reasonable idea. For a vehicle, again in this cold climate, I think it’s a not a good idea.

I have 5 friends that run straight veggie oil year round in their cars. They start and stop on diesel. Their only cost is filters, which are pretty cheap if you buy them by the case like they do. It takes minimal effort to filter and use it.
Biodiesel costs a bit to make because you have to buy methanol and lye but is still cheaper than diesel. However it does take some effort to make.

well my thinking is we go through about 10-13 gallons of diesel a day with the compressor so anything to cut the cost there would help. Also, it will be VERY expensive to run 480v 3 phase power to our shop so a biodiesel generator may be the way to go.

what shop is this and where?

lol my father has been doing this for years, the biodiesel to make it you need oil (very picky on oil) peanut oil has the highest “gel point” so thats usually the best… you need methanol… and i think its just those two ingredients with temperature, time and the right mixture.

to have it run on just straight oil you will probably have to heat it, it would really just be a pain in the ass… but you could get an external heater (ELECTRIC HEATER) to heat the tank, and i think there may… be a compatibility thing… like new engines may not be able to run the oil (idk about that though)

my father only uses old mercs he has a 240 (biodiesel) and two 300 turbo diesel (one is a grease car). and my brother is going to try to have a grease turbo diesel truck. Father is also talking me into getting a old merc to run some bio diesel

for him the biodiesel runs abouit 68 cents a gallon to make it. and he didn’t have to buy anything, just found random tanks on the side of the road, and a part here or there that he had.

save the world!
i would lieka diesel car hah