Loud noise after motor and 5spd swap

Hey guys please help me with this…

I replaced my old KA with a newer one and did a 5 spd swap at the same time. The newer motor came with a 5spd tranny and i decided to take it apart to replace the clutch,release bearing, pressure plate and resurface the flywheel. Everything seemed to go smoothly. I installed all the 5spd parts (clutch and brake pedal,master & slave cylinder,5spd ABS driveshaft and did the necessary wiring). I am still running the auto ECU.

Now I added all the fluids and fired it up. She actually started. However, there is a loud noise coming from the tranny or the rear part of the motor. When she first fired up there was some blk smoke (now its cooled off a lil), so i checked the timing by the lines on the crank pulley and position of the distributor at the TDC mark. It was positioned at cylinder 4 at TDC and i’ve read that 1 or 4 is acceptable. I am getting spark on all cylinders.

Before I begin to remove the tranny I would like to know if anyone else has encountered this. Do i need to check my timing with a timing light? I was told that the pilot bearing may need to be changed, but would it make this loud of a noise??? Also, I have noticed that there is a sensor which is not plugged in and i can’t find it on my harness or heard of it being installed in the write-ups which I’ve read. Its the Crank Angle sensor I believe, and it sits on the top of the 5spd tranny.

Here is a vid of my prob: http://smg.photobucket.com/alb…6.flv

Here are some pics of the tranny, plz let me kno if u see something worng. I did clean the bellhousing b4 throwing it back on…

No such thing as a CAS on a KA.
The throw out bearing is suggested to be replaced, but you replaced it did you not?
Does the noise change if you depress or let go of the clutch pedal?
Did you tighten all the flywheel and clutch PP bolts to spec?
The tranny might just be DONE.

Oh and the only ‘sensor’ you can use while still running the auto ecu is the reverse light sensor. All the position sensors dont matter. Unless you are using a manual ECU.

did you torque the flywheel bolts to spec?

Pilot Bearing isnt a Bearing… its a Bushing. And no it wouldnt make a noise.

SHit, here is another link for the video thru youtube…

Yes, i did replace the throw out bearing.

No, the noise does not change after the i press and release the clutch. it is constant.

Yes, everything was torqued.

Isn’t the CAS on the top of the bellhousing on the s14 KA?

id say starter penis is stuck out inside the flywheel grooves…

yes i agree with varun… same thing happened to me… loud whirring noise after starting. was the starter not pulling back far enough. 4 washers between the starter and tranny solved the problem.

k, ill give it a try and report the results

Sorry to threadjack but…

Is the washer behind the starter thing a norm when doing the auto-to-manual swap? I’ll be doing mine in a few weeks, so I’d like to know what to expect…

no it is not a norm, just my misfortune. I stacked those big washers which u see on our headers on to the bolts to pull the starter away from the motor but still no luck. Now i think the only way I can diagnose my problem is to take off the tranny.Wut a pain.So close to being complete buut soooo far.

quick Q, does the gear on the starter slide along the shaft of the starter when it is engaged?

well i guess some rebuild starters sometimes come with spacers, but washers work fine for me… im not sure if its common with 5spd swaps. try putting more washers on, but once you get to a 1/4" or so, something else might be wrong. my starter was fine for a year or so… but i pulled my tranny to change the clutch and when i put the starter back on it was too close.
yes the little gears moves along that shaft. it should be almost totally inside the case when not energized. when you energize the starter, that gear slides out and engages the flywheel. you could also have a problem with the solenoid on the starter, or the lever from the solenoid to the gear… get someone to start the car while your under it next to the starter to see if that is really the problem.