Throw Out Bearing Help

HELP! lol I just got the motor in Fuj’s Sol in and running last night and with that we put in a new used tranny. I installed a fidanza flywheel, exedy clutch, and the bearings that came in the kit (pilot and throwout). Throw out bearing makes an awful lot of noise. When i put it in i greased where on the inside where it slides on the shaft of the tranny and also where the fork touches it. i did not pack it with grease, i figured it was a sealed bearing like most of them… anyway is this noise my fault or is the bearing a pile? Maybe its even common… All i know is that it goes from loud to quiet when you push in the clutch pedal!

:headbang :headbang

Rattle? Screech? Whine? I posted a reply to this in Mike build thread under projects if it helps…

not s screech or a wine… more like rattle… i dunno it sounds like a throwout bearing. lol only makes noise when your foot is off the clutch… push clutch in… no noise. WTF!

It is in fact the TOB.

I heard of some of the aftermarket throw out bearings are low quality and that youre better off with stock sometimes but Exedy I thought was supposed to be top notch stuff. Either way I wouldnt think it would make noise right out of the box.

I dunno it makes no sense… you CANT fuck these up putting them in unless you are unqualified to take lug-nuts off. I would be shocked if it was something I did.

I’ll be pissed if i have to take this tranny back out cause of a god damn faulty manufacturer.

I hope everything works out but we both know that the only way to find the problem is to take it out… sorry

Just one though… With some aftermarket clutches on some cars you run into a clearence issue between the fork and the trans case due to the aftermarket pressure plate having a different diaphram depth. To get the over extended fork angle back to normal you have to shim the TO bearing. If the clutch fork is touching the case when the clutch is disengaged it could transfer vibration and noise to the trans case. I know its a long shot… but it could be worth checking out

hmmm good looking out. i was just reading something on this… I’m going to check this tonight… (you can see in there through the boot where the fork pops out.) if i gotta pull the tranny im not worried, its like 10 mintues on these things. just grunt work is all… and i don’t have a lift… yet.

Rattle, as in a chattering sound, that changes when you depress the clutch pedal can also be from the single mass flywheel. If the TOB you put in is new, it’s unlikely that you screwed it up or that the part is defective. Does the sound get worse when the tranny fluid warms up vs when cold?

Call up Fidanza and see if it is a single mass flywheel and ask if its normal. They may advertise “no chatter” but for flywheels weighing under 10-12lbs, its absolutely certain to cause chatter.

Just my $.02. You should hear my race car’s flywheel chatter when its hot, I cant hear myself think.

EDIT: Single mass fly AND and an unsprung hub clutch will do this.

Here’s a vid of it on an E36 M3. You can hear him depress the clutch pedal at the end and it stops.

Its not the throwout bearing, flywheel noise or any of that nonsense. I will bet any amount of money that the mainshaft bearings are bad inside the transmission. This is very commom on honda manuals, the sohc trans are by far the most failure prone. I replace these things constantly, the bearings are about 55 bucks at honda (shop price)

If you need a hand replacing them let me know, it only takes about 30 minutes to do when the tranny is out of the car.

Remember that the throwout bearing only works when you press the clutch down. When its up the gears inside the transmission spin at engne speed.

balls-on-ya looks like i’m pullin a tranny. no biggie i always wanted to pull one apart anyway… might as well learn on his car! ahahah :crackup

hmmm it actually sounds alot like that…

:wink:

ignore this ::slight_smile:

When the cage on the bearing breaks they get really loud. But it takes quite a while to get that bad. Its not the clutch kit but oh well.

I’ll second this one as well. It’s fairly common on Honda trannies to have the input shaft bearing go bad… not exactly fun to do, but hey- once you get the tranny off, it’s not much more work.

Granted it’s on a D-series tranny, but here’s a link to a great write-up from MistaBone, pretty much the Honda Tranny master.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73048

thats all wrong

You need to adjust your continuum transfunctioner, and its all good.

But srsly, i agree with crappachic, d seris or not, it should still work