Lowering without new shocks/suspension?

I’ve always been againt lowering without replaceing the shock/struts but it seems like so many people I know are doing it and there car is fine.

My friend with a Neon just did it, and my friend with a Sunfire has been driving around with Goldline springs on stock stuff for like 6 months, LOL.

Do you think the 240 suspension could handle lowering without replaceing them right a way. Eventully I would, but if I can lower it on stock suspension with just springs, I might do that.

The ride with aftermarket springs and struts will always be better than just the springs. I’m guessing you have a '92 with its original stock suspension. If its any relation to my car, they are close to the end of their life, (11yrs old!). My guess is that if you install aftermarket springs with the old worn stock shocks, they are gonna start to leak or blow. My friend who has a 93 with only eibach’s suspensions has started to leak oil.
Also its eaiser to install both @ the same time than waitin for your stock’s to blow and then installing them.

i have a 93 with about 135km. original shocks i put eibach prokit spring on and have had them for 5000k’s or like 6months i guess. and no problems yet.

Myu shocks had 85,000km on them and when I put my sportlines on the shocks were all fine. I didnt want to put new shocks in just yet because im goin to be driving (raping) my car come winter so i plan to put them in in spring. I have noticed that my front shocks are starting to get sloppy on me and when i hit a speed bump they bottom out. Still not bad yet but there gettin there.

My car has 260K so I assumed they had to be replaced at least once in the cars life, it rides fine right now, i don’t think thier blown or anything… anyway of telling how old they are or tell tale signs of ageing… also, why did lowering springs make ur friends car leak oil?

No, he didnt mean the car was leaking oil… the dampers were. 8)

yEh i figured that as soon as I hit “submit”, I felt quite the fool…

save your money and do it properly. or you can cut your OE springs…

thats the last thing you want to do !

i cant beleive someone actually suggested cutting springs… :roll:

YA YA CUT THE OE SPRINGS THEN PUT A RACTIVE FART CAN ON THE BACK AND NOW UR A RICER!!!

YAY, NOW PLEASE LEAVE THESE FORUMS…

j/k :stuck_out_tongue:

YEah, I think he was joking.

i’m not sure if ricers even cut springs anymore, i thought they are doing the coil-overs with the stock shocks/struts. I dunno thats what i saw last time there was a riced out civic at my buddies shop.
Ah yes all this talk of cutting springs conjures up some painful memories of my GTi in highschool that used to bounce and sway for 5 minutes after i hit any imperfection on the road surface.

hahaha no they dont cut springs anymore, they just gopt dropzone springs for like $150 and then through them on there oem struts

At the Auto X in Brampton i saw a rare Mazda 323 GTX. And the owner had the springs cut to make it handle better. I almost cried.

uhm, stupid question, but how else do you plan on lowering your car without new shocks? Obviously, this kid is doing it just for looks, and can really care less about perfomance gains. If thats the case, why waste money on new springs? Just cut your old ones, fuck up your OE shocks, as well as all your bushings, bang up the strut towers a little, but consider your car looking good on flat roads or at a stand still.

BTW, if you want to get performance tips, ask us. If you want your car bling bling’d, then ask your boys with the sunfire/ neon.

just make sure to stay home when we have our meets…