LS or Gsr tranny?

which tranny is going to be better for the street? i want quick acceleration but i don’t want to lay tire like a mofo. is the LS tranny going to give me better traction because the gears aren’t as steep or will it be too much of a turd compared to the gsr? this will be a gsr motor with a 57 trim to4b turbo approx 300whp, maybe 350. i’ve heard arguments for both tranny’s so convince me somebody. and in a quarter mile, how much difference can be expected between the two tranny’s with the exact same setup? are we talking a few tenths or a half second? and what’s the difference between a cable and hydraulic transmission? can either be used with any year motor or what???

long story short, a B16 or GSR trans would be better for all motor, and the LS trans better for turbo application, in daily driver duty. not to say you couldnt use a GSR trans on a turbo motor, but the long gears of an LS trans would be better suited to a turbo application because of the torque. personally i would go with a GSR trans with an LS or B16 4.266:1 final drive R&P(GSR is 4.4:1). stretches out the gearing a little bit, but not enough to make it boring

and you can use any b series trans with any b series motor. what matters is the chassis. pre-91 cars have a cable actuated clutch, where as post 1992 cars have a hydraulic unit. you can buy an adaptor from hasport to make either trans work in either application, but your gonna be hard pressed to find anything but B16/XSi trannies in cable, and you DONT want either on a turbo motor for street driving.

I had an LS trans in my turbo hatch…put a GSR in and dropped .20 in the 1/4 with no other mods. Feels no different in 1 or 2. fall out of boost shifting into 3rd. 3rd gear in an LS is super long and shift 4th and it falls on its face again. at the track with an LS you cross the traps on limiter in 3rd. GSR crosses the traps in boost in 4th about 3/4 on tach.

In short…get an LS if you want fuel economy for a street/track car. GSR is where it’s at IMO.

GSR

i didn’t know 1st and 2nd were the same. i guess that wouldn’t help prevent ripping up tires. i should be making boost around 4k and shifting at stock redline which is what 8400?? gsr’s are like twice as much which sucks

www.fatboyraceworks.com/gears

have fun!

Fixed…

Go with whatever you can get cheaper… I ran both GSR and LS and yes the GSR feels faster. but they both come up with the same ET’s…

GSR FTW!!!

on a 24" tire @118mph is 7600 rpm on a stock ls tranny

Buddy of mine has a GSR tranny… at 80 MPH he’s taching close to 4000 RPM on the highway in 5th. Don’t know if you use the highway a lot, but thought I’d throw that out there.

Agreed, ideally I’d want a 4.8ish FD and a LS fifth gear in my GSR box…frankly I’m tired of hearing the motor spin on the highway.

exactly

GSR FTW!