LUKE_L Build Thread

I wanted to combine everything I have done as well as everything I will do to my 93 MR2. I first purchased this car 03/21/09 from Joe (91MR2). The car was in great shape when I first brought it home. The only real issue is the poor excuse of a paint job when the car was re-painted some time ago and some horrid patch work on the driver’s rear quarter.

This was how the car sat in the Early Spring of '09.

By Summer of '08 not much had changed. I put together my mod list and just drove it.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Here is the “list” as it stands now. I keep coming up with little side projects that are not on it. The main goal was to improve the interior and get the suspension and brakes done.

Exterior

• Repaint 3E5 (Super Red)
  • JDM Clear Corners
  • OEM Fog Lights
  • Solid Molding

Interior

• Pedal Upgrade
  • Steering Wheel Upgrade
  • Rearview Mirror Upgrade with Dome Light delete
  • Re-upholster Seats, Door Panels, Visors, and Headliner
  • LED conversion for interior illumination
  • Gauge Rings

Wheels and Suspension

• 5Zigen FN01-RC
  • Cooper Zeon 2XS
  • Muteki Spline Drive
  • Hub Rings
  • TRD Springs
  • Koni Dampeners
  • Poly-urethane Bushings
  • High and Tight end links
  • TRD Frt/Rr Sway Bar
  • Reinforce Sway Bar mounts
  • New Strut Mounts

Brakes

• Upgrade to 93 Turbo Setup
  • SS Lines
  • Refurb/Replace All Components

Misc.

• Rebuild OEM Clock to light White
  • Lit “MR2” garnish
  • Gas Charged Props (Front Compartment, Engine Lid, and Trunk)
  • Rebuild Intake

As for the Motor, I have not decided what I want to do yet. I built this as something I could cruise around with the T-Tops off. I’m sure it will see some track time but I am not looking for much performance gain, at this stage anyways.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

I spent the better half of '09 basically transforming the interior. I had seat covers and door panels made from http://www.leatherseats.com/ which is known for quality and durability. For the seats I had to strip off the OEM covers, made a few repairs to the 17 year old foam, and put on the new covers. It is amazing how much goes into this. I recommend doing it yourself if you are considering it. It is time consuming but the results speak for themselves. All told it took me 6 hours to do both seats and maybe an hour to do both door panels.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Here is the drivers view from OEM to now. The “MR2” button, which I made, is my favorite mod on the whole car:

Pedals:

Here is the lighting upgrade. The OEM Bulbs are on the Left. The LEDs is used are on the right. The light output is very tolerable and adds a modern look to the outdated green look:

OEM Cluster (Hard to see, huh?):

After “Slight” modification (Much better…):

OEM HVAC:

Again, after “slight” modification:

A lot of work went into the interior. Many of the existing clips where busted, which are now replaced, and some wiring issues had to be corrected. I ran new wiring for my Audio setup as well as created a custom harness for my HU that uses a separate 9-pin connection for the Front/Rear speakers. This way I was able to run a larger gauge wire while still leaving the OEM harness intact.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

So here is the Car as it stands now. The suspension is still OEM for now:

No much in the go fast department as of right now but this thread will be its showcase as this evolves. Not much will happen for the next few months. I am attempting to have the entire car re-painted sometime in the Fall/Winter '10. Once I have that done then it is time to tear into the motor.

LMK when it’s time for BOOST! :slight_smile:

looks great, cant wait for the paintwork

looks great man

Thanks guys.

Sure Thing. Any suggestions?

Typically in the MR2 world most people get a 2nd or 3rd Gen 3S-GTE and drop that in. I was thinking more along the lines of a 1MZ. I have not decided on how much power I want.

Supercharged Honda K24. :slight_smile:

I really like the new wheels. good work on the LEDs, makes me want to update my dash

Most of what I heard on a 3S-GTE is that, even thought there are issues with the top end, you can get to 400+ reasonably cheap and the 3S will drop in will little to no effort. Change the main harness and bolt it in.

I am all in for fabricating and making it work but staying on the same platform is appealing to me. But, I wonder how much is needed to fit a K series though. I will look into it. Thanks.

Can’t wait to start wrenching on this thing with you… We gotta get your garage insulated and drywalled so we can work thru the winter in there comfortably!!!

Trade some wrench time so when I can finally afford to get my toy back together I can get some help! :wink:

And I agree with Newman… let’s play with some Boost… and I WANT to be involved with that!!!

Nice job Luke! Simple,yet effective, and tastefully done.

Thanks Mike, and Mike.

Hells yeah, I was up until 2:30 this morning finishing the interior so I could drive it today. I just wanted to get some miles on it. My garage is a disaster.

Fence = Drywall
Wrench = Wrench

I think that is fair…:tup:

How about Fence + Drywall Finishing Help in the Bathroom = Drywall entire Garage?!?!?! LOL I SUCK at mudding drywall.

2:30 huh? Nice… I remember those days… hopefully soon I can be doing those nights in the garage again.

So glad to see this car going in the direction it deserved…looks great Luke…

Great stuff Luke.

Good stuff :tup:

Thanks Everyone.

Sure thing. Whenever you get healed up we can tackle it.

Dude it has been a blast working on this. I took a fast lunch today. Literally…:slight_smile: I love this thing. Such a joy to drive.

Had to find this car on here. Been hearing a lot of good things about it from Riggs, kept talking about the center steering wheel piece ha car looks awesome!

awesome car and great progress love the steering wheel and led lights mod

:tup: looks great.

Dan

Update, I pulled the trigger on my project alot sooner than I anticipated. No more fucking around…

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/llorentz/MR2/Paint/Panel007.jpg

Stay tuned for the fun part.