Lumina SS 6.0L

hey now. watch it son. T/As might be shitty but atleast they look cool

the car surpassed its targetted sales numbers it was the test bed for new international platforms. If it failed, you would not of seen the new RWD GM vehicles being ushered in over the next 4 years.

2009 Chevy Camaro
2008 Pontiac G8
2009 Cadillac BLS (coupe, sedan, wagon/crossover)
2010 Pontiac GTO
2010 Chevy Impala

heavily rumored:
2011 Chevy El Camino
2010 Buick Nomad

the platform may not have failed, but styling it did. if you dont think that car was met with backlash, you are just kidding yyourself or live in a cave. i’m not sayin its a bad car, i like it. but they just went about it the wrong way. they took an existing car, rebadged it and slapped a musclecar name on it…mistake #1. then the took away the most agressivly styled car in GM’s lineup (ws6) and replaced it with one of the least creative, most conservatively designed cars. and while doing so, they targeted the car more for fit/finish when the T/A was about cheap performance. in the end its just not a GTO and ppl were pissed. you cant deny it. its a great car, but they just went about it wrong and its def not a complete success.

you do realize the “new” gto out performed the “old” gto in every which way possible right? even straight acceleration.

Keep in mind, the Trans Am, also was not a good seller either in the 4th generation. Remember the F-body was shit canned due to lack of sales, and a plant closing. If it is a dominant product they would’ve retooled immediately after the St.Therese plant closing. Fact is, they could not compete with Mustang’s sales. Were they awesome cars? No doubt. I owned a few of them, and loved them. They were received better than the GTO was, but thats mainly due to the public wanting retro styling, which is something GM did not deliver with the GTO. What they did do was deliver outstanding performance with it though.

where it may not resemble an old gto, it sure as hell lived up to its name performance wise

aggressive styling or not, I know of a few of them that could put the screws to some ws6’s stock for stock

you may say it’s not worth the name GTO, which is fine thats your opinion. But what would you call it when it’s ahead of you in a race? Because since we’re stating opinions here, I’m betting a well driven gto would show you its tail lights in a race, LS6 conversion or not, with you behind the wheel it’s a given.

They could have at least changed a few things from the Holden Monaro.

Real creative, GM… Let’s bring a car from another country and company, change the name on it, and leave it completely identical to the original except for the grill. Niiiice. It’s still ugly to me regardless. It might be fast… but the 04 LS1’s aren’t much to be scared of. The newer ones are a different story.

:drool:

any pics of these? i would like to see renderings of these
i would be first in line for either of these vehicles

Nomad, I do not.

but the El Camino is the new Holden Ute. They are currently redesigning it for the new zeta platform

the holden UTE i would rock one of those in a heartbeat. . Hopefully GM comes through

well trans ams were made from 69-02. no inerruptions and i’d say it was very well recieved. alot of the closing was due to the dated platform and seeing as how the Camaro (the same fucking car) is coming back, and ppl want it back and its hyped, i’d say its well-recieved by the public. whos talking about the gto being discontinued or coming back? noone. noone cares. i already explained my reasoning why ppl didnt like it, the LS2 and refinement was what kept the car alive for those couple years.

as far as straightline performance, then ya of course its faster it has the newer motor big deal. i seriously doubt it’ll out handle a ws6. it has a higher stance, skinnier tires and is heavier. its not even really the same market as the fbody.

as far as my personal car, i seriously doubt a stock one will pull on mine. and the comment about me driving it, is ridiculous, considering youve never even seen the car in person or seen me drive any car.

like i said, they are a nice car. i dont think the 04-06 GTOs are even a replacement for the fbod, because its a different kind of car. thats the main reason, because fbody guys had their agrressive, budget racer taken away and in its place was a smoother, more refined daily driver oriented car with a fast motor. hence it wasnt well recieved.

whats your car run again? what does your timeslip say

The same reason is why the GTO only had a 3 year run, the chassis was retired for a more updated chassis. Pontiac was already given the greenlight to produce a RWD V8 Coupe.

you do realize your ws6 is only a mere 50 or so lbs lighter than a gto

its only been run at auto-x. that doesnt prove shit to you about how good or bad i am at driving. you have no idea, so dont talk out of your ass. im not gonna argue with you cause you act like you own GM:rolleyes:

I wouldnt want to own GM, for as much as I love their vehicles, theyre a losing investment.

:smiley: :3some:

Pontiac= i’m tryin not to look like a cheapskate that bought a chevy so i went a step up. Buick= fast with class…

to bad grandfather GM is a pussy and turned it all corporate. buicks and olds ran shit when they were all seperate divisions.

but your point about the new gto outperforming the old one in everyway except for one… Class! i’d take a 67 convertible 427 vette over a new Z06 anyday…

man I always love the Cutty rants :cool:

hahahahaha ok…

lets not get off topic fellas, this is about the Lumina SS, i regret even starting stuff wit the GTO

true. o well back to the lumina.

heres my final take on it. overall, its a cool car and i guess its cool that GM makes most of their models have a sport/fast version or whatever. the problem with that is that it takes some luster away from the true performance models in the lineup.

id buy the lumina before the G8.

hopefully i can afford it when it comes out. and my employee discount is decent

buick=old man car

and this is coming from someone with a crown vic.

buick may have been decent, but what have they done in the past 10 years?

buick had what, the gs and the gnx in it’s lifetime that were fast. Wow, 2 fast cars out of how many?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My Beef is that they are rebadging pre-existing Holden cars instead of coming up with something on their own. As long as it’s not another V8 FWD, it will be okay with me.