Lyme Disease or MRSA

So about 2 weeks ago I went to Christman Santuary with my girlfriend. Its a little trail and waterfall place up by me about 10 mins from my place.

Anyways a day or two after going there I notice a little black spot on my leg in the shower, it was sticking out so i pulled it off and it looked like a little tick, wasnt to big but deff not the size of an engorged female deer tick. Noticed a little black spot still in my leg I took tweezers and pulled it out.

3 week later and about 2 days ago I notice a big red rash on my leg with a darker purple center… Wasnt to big, felt warm to the touch and a little tender.

Yesterday it got a little bigger most of the inflamed area is a purpleish color with a pink ring right around it, not to be confused witrh the acctual bulleye pattern followed by a deer tick.

I get to the hospital last night as Ive had the chill, slight headaches and acheing leg and other joints at times I figure I should find out what this is.

Doc comes in and pretty much says it looks like it could be either and if im sure it was a tick or not a dried blood legion or something of that sorts, im pretty sure it was a tick, there was no open wound afterwards etc.

So anyways hes treating me for lyme disease, i shoul dget the test back in a day or two confirming if I have it…

Meanwhile im a little nervous that I might have MRSA because from what ive heard its pretty much immune to most antibiotics and it can get bad pretty quickly.

Ill post up a pic here in a little bit

So you remember removing a tick, the doc tells you it fits all the symptoms of Lyme disease, but you have a hunch it’s something totally different? Did you get better grades than this guy in med school?

No rly, 2nd opinions > dying.

My dad has lyme disease…he got bit a few years back and he didnt treat it up until a few months after the fact (hes wicked stubborn)

needless to say, it took him laying in bed with a fever, constantly throwing up and swollen/aching/non moving muscles for him to go to the hospital. He’s fine now, but it was BAD…but once you have it, it never goes away…They just treat it, cant cure it.

my parents know a guy thats paralyzed in half his face from lyme disease.

Sure sign of aids… You have it

I wouldn’t sweat it too much. Let the doctor come back with his results in a couple of days. Stop playing Dr. Google because your only going to stress yourself out more. More then likely you were bit by a tick or maybe even a spider if you said you were venturing through the woods. You don’t get MRSA skipping through the woods. If you remembered pulling something out of your leg and it looked like a tick, more then likely it was.

I had a bacteria infection not long ago and thought it could have been MRSA too. It turned out to be Impetigo. It carries all the same physical symptoms to MRSA minus the EXTREME pain. They prescribed me some anti-biotics and in a about week and a half it was cleared up.

Not to say I don’t trust ER doctors, and not saying he’s wrong, but I worked in a hospital and I know how dismissive they can be.
Just saying it’s worth your health to have it checked out again elsewhere.

Yeah they started treatment for lyme disease…

and Jclark i dident see legs or anything as i was in the shower it was kinda dark and early in the Am so I wasnt thinking, but it may have been just some dried blood like what sprouts up with MRSA, but I would think I would still have some sort of legion there and not a half dollar sized pruple infected somewhat painfull spot on my leg…

Either way im not a happy person, they said if it happend 2-3 weeks ago its probably a little late and i may get sick for awhile, pretty much just feel old and cramped up…

They belive its only stage 1 which they say will die if treated early enough… once it gets beyond that thats probably what your dad had smokin… which is why he got so sick

Anyways 2 days ago it was the size of a quarter… hard to tell and the picture doesnt show how prurple it is with the red ring around it all to well but its about the size of a half dollar right now

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Shady195/IMG00057-20090811-0834.jpg

my dads looked different.

His looked like a bite, then had a huge red ring around it.

worse then google would be WebMD dont ever use the symptom checker, holy christ that thing will tell you either have a common cold or cancer…its ridiculous!

No i understand that… had nothing to do with google, I looked what the symptmoms were on google when the doctor said he though it looked and sounded like MRSA but because i belive it was a tick i pulled off that its lyme disease…

When I told him i was bit he kept stressing and asking am I sure it was a tick did I see its legs bla bla bla because I guess MRSA and both lyme disease have been around a lot this year…

They also said mrsa is acctualy pretty common and a lot of people get it but most dont break out bad and dont even realize they have it

i literally laughed out loud here. awesome. +rep

oh wow i missed this…

No the doc kept insisting that even thou i belive it was a tic he said am i positive and he thinks it might be MRSA but because I remember removing said tic that hes goign to reat me for lyme disease

he said it fit the symptoms of MRSA… but i do have the chills/body aches ascoiated with lyme disease… but the area of infection is extremely tender and a tad bit painfull which is why he said he thinks its MRSA but because i remember removing the tic that hes treating me for lyme disease

thinking the same :rofl

Most Docs are lazy guessers. If there is a chance there is MRSA, a very simple lance and culture answers that in 24 hours. Why would any good doctor not do it? There are reasons, weak ones. If I was a lazy guesser, I’d guess that is not MRSA.

that looks like mrsa… ive had it twice already and was in the hospital for a week for it back it november

Truth. My doctor wanted to start putting me on antibiotics and then come back in a week to see if it had cleared up and then he would check me for MRSA. I’m like all it takes is 2 seconds to swab it and send it out for a test right? Let’s kill 2 birds with one stone and test it now and put me on antibiotics for what you may think it is. He in turn was right with his prognosis and it didn’t turn out to be MRSA.

Im not freaking out to much as im not getting the stronger pain that they associate with it… Ill find out today my results for lyme should be in

Yeah my doc kinda pissed me off he came in… grilled me and gave me that shit about how am i sure it was a tick bla bla bla…

Said yup okay looks like ill treat you for lyme… he only was in there maybe 3 minutes total…

I was thinking from a previous thread that doesnt it only take a quick swab on the ER’s doc/nurses end to make sure it is in fact mrsa or not?

Kinda stupid really not to just do both if the doc thinks it could be either.

Exactly. They want you to come back because it’s another visit you have to pay for. It makes sense for them but none for the patient. How is everything healing up? Does it look like it’s clearing up?

Ehh not really sure its not geting any bigger so that a good thing… my leg is still a bit cramped and the area is still very tender to the touch…

Im starting to wonder too as its feeling itchy and less swollen that if it was just an infection from the bite and not even infected with lyme disease as last night and today ive felt pretty good

Maybe it is just irritation from the bite, or something less drastic. Those little blood suckers carry all sorts of nasty bacteria, look how many different diseases you can get from a mosquito. Let us know how you make out man. :hug