M5 or x5?

Im kicking around a few ideas of getting an extra vehicle. Ive looked at a couple 2000 and newer m5’s and a couple x5 xdrive35d or whatever. It really would not get used much, maybe small trips or on weekends, the extra vehicle is not really needed though. So my options are to-
1- buy some kind of new vehicle (open for other suggestions),
2- give money to an investor (no idea where to start)
3- invest it into the family business
4- lend some out and hope i dont have to break any legs
5- nothing, let it sit in the bank

Either of those two, depending on the situation.

I love the E39 M5 (and how prices have fallen big time, down to the teens), but I’d have to say +1 to the above instead of getting another vehicle.

+1 E39 M5s are SICKKKK… but I would either invest or save right now

E39 M5’s will suck every last penny you have out of you, eat it, then throw it back at you after it’s partially digested.

so make sure you get a warranty.

If your going to get a newer car, c63 AMG. My uncle just got one and its a wonderful car. Anyway invest your money in a safe way.

m5 all the way, one of my favorite sporty sedans

i say invest the money…

get the new 335D.

Keeler has a MINT black e39 m5 w/ 16k miles on it. They’re asking like 33,800 for it. I got a pic on my phone if you want me to upload it.

sit on your money. But not in a bank cause the bank will use your money to pay their executives stupid xmas bonus’ then tank and tell you they cannot afford to give you your money back or create some fake event that caused you to be charged $999999999999 in fees

I would love to invest it in something, i just dont know where to start

Neither of those. M5 is a money pit if the car is neglected.

You should know what to invest in by now. :slight_smile:

If you have a comfortable amount of $ in low risk investments as your foundation, being young means you can afford a few calculated higher risk investments if you’re smart about it. Avoid giving it to friends/family owned new businesses until you’re the nice old guy that can afford to lose it.

If you’re not a finance person, the web has plenty of guides to the basics for young people. Read a few and you’ll notice a theme.

JClark, what kinda money we talkin? Do you have links to said guides?

I’ll find a few and post them. ‘Guides’ may be overstating it, much of the best stuff I’ve found was written as CNN letter-to-the-editor response stuff. I have 3 books on my desk that cover financial planning basics (I’m a finance major/nerd), but its all free on the web if you search.

What kind of money? $5 to $5,000,000+. It’s the same formula.
In order:

1. ‘Cash reserve/rainy day/get fired’ Fund - Savings account or MMA or something, somewhere you can get your cash if you need it (not a checking account that earns no interest) - 3-6 months living expenses, longer if you have dependents and surprise costs.

2. Low risk, highly liquid foundation investments - Everything from CDs and MMAs for smaller $ amounts to the fancier new stuff banks are doing for larger $ amounts.

Everything beyond that is split into two categories:
3a) Less liquid, medium risk - A bazillion things to choose from. If categories 1 and 2 are satisfied and you have a good chunk ready to upgrade, start meeting financial planners.
3b) Way less liquid, higher risk - Also a bazillion things to choose from.

When you’re young, there should be more in your 3b than in your 3a. Youth means you can take on risk. When you get older, you have less time to heal from large financial ups and downs that come with high risk stuff, so move it into safer options. You wouldnt want your 80 yr old grandma to have 100% of her assets in Enron stock…

Higher risk = higher yield (reward) = the reason people accept higher risk.

**Very generic plan above, should be customized to meet specific needs.

[/finance nerd]

nice writeup. thank you. +rep given when i can

Wayne - bankrate.com is a good source for checking interest rates of MMAs/Savings Accounts in the country. You can look at CD rates there as well.

This page has some good links to basic information on personal finance too, along the lines of what JClark shared:

Other stuff on investing

Lot of stuff is in Pro/Con format so you can just read through quickly and get the gist of it without a bunch of numbers being thrown in your face.

buy more land.

also. have a diverse portfolio investment wise. You want to have a balanced risk whereas if one investment drops substansially, your other investments will not be affected. example dont invest all your money into one specific area of the market. Get some automotive, biotecjs (gonna take off i bet), technology, some foreign companies and some established domestic business…

just my .02, your welcome to critique or tell me im retarded