Marlboro Event at Beaverun in June

You will get decent instruction at a BeaveRun lapping day. BTW - I am an instructor there from time-to-time.

A few years back, I got invited to a private event at BeaveRun that was hosted by Bobby Rahal Automotive Group. This was supposed to be an event for good/wealthy customers of Rahal but a woman I know was dating a Rahal sales rep and they got me an invitation since they know that I race. They had Mercedes, AMGs, Jags, Volvo’s and Austin Martin’s. We got to run them on the autcross pad, kart track and North track. We had the option to drive with one of their drivers as passengers or ride with their drivers.

They had pro drivers (including Graham Rahal) and for most of the drivers this was the first time they ever saw the track. The first car that I took out was one of those full-sized, V8 supercharged Jags (XJR?). I jumped in, a pro driver jumped in the passenger seat and the sales guy jumped in the back. By about turn 4 my pro driver was yelling at me that I was going too fast and my line was terrible. I looked in the mirror and the sales guy mouthed “ignore him and go for it”. I did and also provided a narrative of what I was doing and why.

I then started arguing with the pro driver that the line he was suggesting was not the fast way around the track. The argument continued until we pitted in. I asked him how many times he had run the track and he said that today was the first time he ever saw it. I suggested that he try my line and see what he thought. He just got pissed off at the mere suggestion. Later in the day, it was the driver taking passengers. He rolled up to a bunch of us in an AMG and motioned for me to get in the car. The guy at the front of the line got in (it wasn’t my turn) and he was pissed. Eventually, I got a ride with the guy and he said that my line was pretty good. He was trying to scare me during the ride (yeah, right) and it was then that I told him that I was a track instructor.

There is no doubt that that guy is a better driver than me. However, just because you’re a pro driver doesn’t necessarily mean that you instantly know the fast line around a track.

I say all of this to tell you that the people with the most seat time at BeaverRun aren’t pros - they are the track instructors. If you have used the track instructors and believe that they aren’t teaching you the best line for your car, try different lines and see what works for you.

…I run a very unconventional line through the exit of turn 5 through the entrance to turn 7 and I actually brake for 9. People think it is goofy but I happen to hold the class lap record with that “goofy” line…