Mazdaspeed 3 Dyno chart.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/0610_z+2007_mazdaspeed_3+dyno_chart.jpg

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/0610_gti_civic_mazdaspeed3_dyno/mazdaspeed_3.html

The number doesn’t look too impressed. I don’t know if it’s due to the torque management between 1-3 gears.
Just needs a little tuning this car should be alright.

How does the direct injection impact tuning?

Has anyone driven these? I can imagine they push like a rudderless barge.

too lazy to click link…this is just the motor being dyno’ed to the flywheel or what is this graph

Turbos, by nature, have reduced operating ranges, but the Mazdaspeed 3 seems to be particularly susceptible to that limitation. It has prodigious torque in the midrange, but the engine feels anemic below 3000 rpm or above 5500. Honda’s normally aspirated Si makes at least 85% of its maximum torque from 2000 to its redline. That means that if you floor the Honda’s loud pedal anywhere between two and eight grand, you’ll have at your disposal at least 85% of the maximum quoted torque. VW’s turbo GTI will hand over at least 70% of its peak number at any time from two grand to its own redline. The Mazda is far behind the others at 20%

holy shit

wow that changed my thoughts abput buying one of these

thats one thing i love about my gti. IT may not be fast…but it makes quick work of passing people and is just awesome getting up to speed no matter what rpm your at.

is that b/c of teh tq managment system or is it somthing else

im sure a tune and some playing around in the computer can improve this right?

watching the dyno video the engien definately fall flat on its face twords redline but i’m sure some tweeking can fix that.

Is the car drive by wire? If so, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they were closing the throttle plate. Also, if not, the ECU probably is cutting off the engine to save the emissions equipment and some wear and tear.

the car isnt that fast ive been in one and they do fall on there face near redline

but like i said could it be somthing that can be changed with a bit of tuning

if so i mean u can spend a few hundred bucks and have a prett fast little car on ur hand :hitit:

The turbo used is a SINGLE Hitachi Warner (KKK) K04… the turbo is tiny. Around the same size of the TDO4 on the wrx.

The car isnt going to have any top end with such a small snail.

Im also not a fan of direct injection. It makes tuning overly difficult. And although the technology is “new” it does not make it better for making power.

Direct injection suffers MAJOR physycal limitations with high RPM fuel delivery. The window in which the injector can inject fuel and still be in sync with the motor decreases expotentially as RPMS rise.

The time that the injector has to inject fuel is dictated by the time of the compression stroke. The problem is the time of the compression stroke at 6000 rpm is half as much as it is at 3000 rpm. Because the motor is spinning twice as fast.

It is compounded by the fact that the injector MUST stay at idle during the intake, power, and exhaust strokes. This is wasted time.

So basicly you end up with a fuel delivery system that is capable of delivering EXPOTENTIALLY LESS fuel when fuel is needed the most at high rpms.

If you want to run a shitload of power at high RPMS the injectors will probably need to be the size of a bus.

Thus is why F1 cars any pretty much any high tech gasoline/ meth racecar that uses RPM to make power still use port injection. Port injectors can go 100 percent IDC and follows no timing window.

I suppose you can run additional auxillary port injectors but then you run into the problem of the compression being to high for port injection. The heads and pistons also have no considerations for port injection (ie. quench area)

An intresting concept is twin injection… Toyota has realized the limitations of direct injection alone and has desgined a motor that uses both direct and port injection to provide the best of both worlds.

The 2GR-FSE engine used in the IS350 incorporates Toyota’s D4-S twin injection system. This system combines direct injection with traditional port injection.

yea but the car it self is pricey why spend more to get a little bit faster? id rather have a cheap car and spend about 2 grand more to have something alot faster, and the top mount is the worst idea with no scoop its only getting heat soaked.

werd, the stock saab turbo is about the same size. its a giant pos… er tiny pos.

F1 doesn’t use port injection. Showerhead injectors for the win. They’re awesome, except for that idling issue.

This video shows it really well.

Nice car…if it were AWD I would have waited for it instead of buying a WRX.

Well technically that is a form of port injection… It injecting fuel into a port above the valve in the cylnder head.

Direct injection injects fuel directly into the cylnder head where the spark plug would be.

Awesome video BTW.

The price isn’t too bad. Just a little over 20k if you used the employee discount or haggle a little bit. :smiley:

a lot of mod heads are missing the point.

direct injection offers better emisions and decent torque for the way its tuned from the factory.

It is a six speed. so the light switch torque should be easily available. theres a lot of cars that can produce lots of torque way above its redline. but who wants to drive around bouncing off the rev limiter. Its not a drag race car. its a FWD sporty 5 door hatch.

I really cant talk. ive been seriously considering one, but havent had the oportunity to test drive one. yet.