McAfee Software

We bought a new Dell and I’m going through doing all the software installation, file copying, etc. Comcast offers the free McAfee suite, but I’ve only used Virus Scan in the past. Is all the other stuff like Identity Security, Firewall, etc. worthwhile? Does it cause any conflicts or problems?

I’m liking this new 20" widescreen! I’m going to try working from home a day a week when possible, and trying to build ANSYS models on a 17" monitor sucks. Maybe I should have gone 22"… :slight_smile:

Any of the McAfee suite is a huuuge resource hog, however it does work. I just personally think there are better options out there. As far as the identity security and firewall and all that jazz, it’s probably just redundant not not really nessessary. If you use a router chances are you have a hardware firewall, and I can’t see how the identity security will help, so long as you’re simply careful what and where you type.

I hate all of that shit they throw onto new computers. I just bought a new HP and spent a good bit of time removing all of the useless BS.

I personally do not use the security suites fron mcafee, norton, etc… They are a huge waste of resources IMO. I run ad adaware once every few months and have antivirus, but never run any scans.

Thanks. I’ll just stick with the Virus software.

Just use AVG free and scan with AdAware every month or so and you’ll be set.

Sounds very close to what i do minus the AV…

I’ve never been a fan of AV/FW software on any machine…after uninstalling the software on various machines they run SO much better, if your the average computer user just keep the AV…

I have the comcast mcafee on my comp and it uses mad resources. When I do something like play a game or do some music recording I restart my comp with selsective startup and all of that crap off. Opening up my task manager I can see that there are 13 different processes from mcafee running right now.

just remove it. I have had antivirus running for years and it never caught anything. I have run avg, norton, and mcafee and none of them ever did anything except hog resources.

I have corporate symantec on my home pc because it makes the wife feel safer. :smiley:

I do not have anything on my work laptop.