PC Antivirus.....the ins and out....

Just bought a new laptop for general crap. Want to install some Av software.

I’m curious to know what the puter whiz folks on this forum like/prefer…and more importantly…why they like one over the other.

I currently have AVG on this POS and it does it’s job “ok” but I’m always down to hear what the real computer guys are using.

Post away.

Avast Free for AV. Why? Because it’s less of a resource hog than some of the others and catches everything. I’ve used Microsoft Security Suite which is also good. I used AVG and Symantec for a while and both were kind of resource hogs.

Run Spybot Search and Destroy + Piriform CCleaner (I can send you the .ini file that will take care of what you probably need to take care of as there is a bunch of settings you can check/uncheck) = Clean PC.

That would be good, since I’m far from a computer whiz myself. r247motorsports@gmailDOTcom is the address :slight_smile:

I will try that AVast I agreet hat AVG sucks the computer down when it’s running here. I can’t have it scanning while I’m running solidworks or the PC damn near shuts down(SW almost taxes this PC as is)

Run Spybot Search and Destroy + Piriform CCleaner <---- Freeware?

+1 for avast.

Piriform is a free-ware company. I use their CCleaner, Defraggler programs on all of my PCs.

I’m going to host the .ini file on my server so anyone else reading this thread can grab it.

The file goes into the root of the installation directory of CCleaner (typically C:\Program Files\CCleaner). Just right click on the link below and do save as or save link as. Should save as an .ini file.

http://www.ilyakol.com/Other/ccleaner.ini

Avast hands down

We use Avast or ESET on all customers computers.

avast it is. DL’ed and running on the laptop now. thanks :slight_smile:

Who the fuck do you work for?

Avast/Microsft security essntials as far as the free ones go…

Been staying away from avast lately as its been causing some Internet related issues, and well to be honest as of late its been missing a lot of shit.

Microsoft Security Essentials gets my pick in the Free AV department… I’m talking 20+ computers a week I put it on and have had 10x better success as heard from customers than Avast

If you don’t mind paying or would like to pay for one (:crazy i know but some people like to have a paid AV)

ESET gets my vote

I don’t pay for shit, for the most part anyway lol.

By any chance you still happen to have a lockdown on some chip fo that fried inspiron laptop i have here? $$$ can come your way for sure :slight_smile:

Avast 100%

i dont use any antivirus on my pc’s tho… but people seem to need AV’s so i just put avast on it for them, the new build of avast is way better and the UI is great… you can register the program within itself without having to go to websites and check your email and bs and copy and past codes etc

no A/V FTW ! been doing it for years now, since i stopped using A/V i havent gotten any viruses…

AVG was good but it turned into a pig.

Malwarebytes, MS Defender, CCleaner, and Defrag often.

+1 Fuck AV.

Oh, and if you MUST have it… Kaspersky or NOTHING AT ALL.

• 1 and +1 i was going to say malwarebytes but i always forget the name

I may, not 100% PM me with the details of the laptop and Ill look on monday when i get in.

Microsoft Security Essentials /thread

+1… Wayne I belive your acctualy the person that turned me onto it. I heard of it when it was first out in “beta” but using an AV from microsoft just seemed sketchy as shit :rofl

Have had a lot more positives from myself and customers over almost all of the other free AV’s

:ninja

Anybody use the CA suite that Time Warner offers? any good?

Its a pile of shit and i recommend staying far away from it