is there AV software thats not a hog?

i was running norton corp, but i would like to find something a little “lighter”

AVG Free.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0?prd=aff

spanks

norton corp is a beast. we had to install symantec corporate to get on the canisius network, i felt like i’d been computerjacked

yeah, it is really bloated.

i just installed AVG, and it isn’t eating anywhere near the resources norton did.

yep AVG :tup:

I’m running Symantec Endpoint Security (which is really norton corp v.11). It’s MUCH less off a hog than previous versions.

I’ve been using AVG for about 3 years now with no issues. It’s caught plenty of email virii and several malicious scripts while searching for cracks.

It’s update is pretty resource intensive and they update pretty much daily so your first login of the day might be a little slower. But even then it’s only about 30 seconds or so to update. It’s using 360k of memory just sitting here, compared to 70meg for rtvscan.exe, norton’s real time engine.

thats the realtime scan that they run that makes it bloated… shut that shit down!

NOD32 > *

avg is amazing, i love it. and its free, you cant beat that.

I used to use AVG religiously, but it’s gotten a bit bloated over the past year or two (compared to how it ran before). I also noticed that I got A TON of false positives with AVG.

Seriously, try NOD32 and I guarantee that you will never go back to AVG. It’s super lightweight, non intrusive and is also very powerful.

edit: downside is that you have to buy NOD32… but coming from someone who doesn’t “buy” a whole lot of software, it’s worth every penny

why are the new versions of every damn program so bloated? you practically need a gig of ram to use the basics these days

^ I hear ya man. I don’t understand it myself

e-trust is not too bad, thats what we use at work… uses pretty much zero CPU and 4mb ram.

downside is its not free like AVG, AVG is good.

send him a canned email :lol:

Just dumped Norton and downloaded AVG, and it is already much better than Norton.

Nortons a pile of shit

AVG fucked with my cracks every time I tried to install one.

Now I use Avast! very clean and simple

I’m still saying to give NOD32 a shot. It’s been rock solid and is currently eating just 1,464K of memory (shit, coretemp uses 2,008K and it just monitors cpu temps)

there is no free version though except for a 30 day trial, but it’s well worth the $$$