Got a computer virus, have a question.

I have a virus that is the type that will keep popping open internet windows and they have notices that i have a virus. The windows are from some company called virus fire or something like that. I was using macafee for a while then it expired and i was ok for a year.

Should I renew with mcafee or is there a better less expensive alternative?

I couldnt figure out how to get rid of the virus on my own so i need a program that will clean it up for me.

Thanks.

Google for and download AVG anti-virus. It’s free Update the program and scan your system. If that doesn’t fix it, report back.

This could be a stupid/wrong answer but I would try resetting your computer to a date before you got the virus. Then add the free avg software.???

Ok so I’ll look for the AVG program. I have no clue how to reset my computer back to a different date. How do I do that and If i do, what are the risks? Would I lose everything after that date?

go to all programs
click on accesories
goto system tools
click on system restore

Everything you saved should be fine

There’s a good chance the trojan is sitting in his system restore files (As most anti-virus software doesn’t check there.)

AVG just came out with a new version. That’s your first bet:

avg ftw

Any real virus these days deletes restore points…and/or embeds itself in files that system restore usually won’t touch(Files critical for proper system operation), if this is so you may be looking at a reformat/reinstallation. But nobody can go any further with there assumptions until you report back so with that said…update us!

Yeah, a system restore, if I recall correctly, rolls back any changed registry settings and installed software without really effecting the kernel files…so, if the malware has infected kernel files (which good malware usually does), a system restore won’t do anything.

So:

Google for and download AVG anti-virus. It’s free Update the program and scan your system. If that doesn’t fix it, report back.

Did the AVG thing and didnt do a system restore and things so far are back to normal. it found 21 virus files and deleted them. It took 2 and a half hours to scan then i clicked a few things and it seemed ok. I’ll see more tonight when i get home. Thanks guys.

Good deal, keep an eye out…i’ve seen some viruses/spyware/malware that appeared to be gone but within a few hours resurfaced.

Push system updates as well, cant hurt. Update to IE 7 as well. I prefer it over IE6 anyday(except for my work machine which it refuses to install correctly)

Firefox>IE6/7/8/9/10/11tybillion

Also, on the maintenance side of things how often do you clean out your temp files, defrag, etc?

Push system updates as well, cant hurt. Update to IE 7 as well. I prefer it over IE6 anyday(except for my work machine which it refuses to install correctly)

Excellent advice. Install all available MS security updates…vulnerability driven viruses/worms can’t infect vulnerabilities that have been patched. Plus, the MS “Monthly Malware Removal Kit” actually does work for particular popular worms/DDoS clients/ect…

Sounds like you have spyware or malware. Webroot Spysweeper can be had for $19.99. Also use FireFox as your browser, you will never go back to IE. My $.02. - Brett

There are better, free alternatives.

stay on topic, i didnt come in here to start a browser war.

That is on topic…half of the malware problem STARTS in IE…too many holes in security.

Actually IE7 isn’t all that bad, and recently hackers / etc have been targeting Firefox / Safari.

In fact in the last month, no new security threats for IE7 have been reported however there have been for both Firefox and Safari.