Computer Virus

Well i got one on my laptop on Christmas. Norton’s picked up a trojan, and “fixed” it. But since, my comp is running really slow, and skips and stumbles with audio & video, so its not gone.

tried system restore, and fails everytime.

any thoughts.

Install AVG Free Anti-Virus…

Norton AV sucks and you have to pay for it as well.

Norton is a HUGE resource hog too.

try this ive been using it for years http://www.free-av.com/

loading the AVG now, will these get rid of pre-existing viruses?

Update it, and run the scan. It will find any pre-existing viruses.

www.avast.com (if that doesnt work)

back-up, and format

System restore usually will not fix a strong enough virus, most worms and trojans embed themselves in critical system files that really aren’t supposed to be touched…i would know from the days of making trojans & what not. if your going to back up files back up mp3’s & pictures and what not…DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE back up exe files and programs. Like starboy said, reformat, you should be fine afterwards

panda platinum… great internet security software and it’s only $20 off of ebay. imho the only thing better than the ole panda is the shield, but that’s kinda pricey.

yea, im gonna reload my laptop. its happened once before on my laptop, but a couple times with the desktop.

but i keep ext. hard drives for both with all my media files. and i keep my C drive for programs.

i’ve reloaded my comps before, its no big deal, i was just wonderin if there was any free programs that would root out the problem and get rid of it.

its slowed to a crawl now. lol first thing i do when i realize something is wrong, is pull the USB for the ext harddrive out.

I’ll start now, usually takes an hour and a half to reload, and DL my programs back.

Thanks again everyone.

I recommend CA’s anti-virus or if your cheap AVG.

i’m good to go. thanks everyone.

my spyware scanners always suggest to turnoff the windows firewall. i usually read the alert, but leave my firewall up. this time, i was in a hurry, and just clicked ok, which shutdown my firewall, and eventually let crap come in

damn virus/spam/spyware programs don’t like each other.

There’s been quite a bit of issues caused by CA as of late. AVG or Avira are probably the best free Anti-Virus programs. Nod32 if you’re going to pay for it, is hands down, the best.

As far as Spyware, the best singular program is Spybot: Search and Destroy, but the best way to rid of all of it is to use a culmination of programs.

My personal opinion from use at both work and through test’s I’ve seen.

Better Yet, watch what you do on the net

That’s always too much to ask.

ya, i’ve had good luck with Search & Destroy

CA ANTI-VIRUS is good, but rest of the products are okay (don’t install the firewall).

Better yet use Firefox or Seamonkey for browsing and not Internet Exploder unless you need it! try spybot and adware.