Computer Tech Help

Alright, my PC has been running slowly lately. Its most noticeable when I’m running several programs at a time. Nothing major, just like when running two internet windows or Itunes and AIM or something like that. I’ve deleted alot of unnecessary files/folders to try to free up space, but nothing seems to be effective. I don’t even have enough memory left to run defrag. I’ve also got a few files that I’m pretty sure are viruses that I can’t delete from my folders. When I right click on them, it doesn’t give me the option to delete. I can’t drag and drop them into the recycle bin either. If anyone can help out with some info, I’d really appreciate it.

Download Avast Antivirus, after it install run a boot time virus scan, itll get everything before its even loaded, if that doesnt work go find Bart PE… its a live cd that you burn to a cd, and when you start up the computer it will load and then theres an antivirus on there as well

Also try downloading Spybot Search and destroy. Its free google it…

Cool I’ll give that a shot, thanks

you have no clue what your talking abuot. lol

j/k ive had both on just about all my pc’s

flush it. its good to periodically delete everything and reinstall windows. You may be able to clean it with the above mentions, but it’d prolly be easier to format and start from scratch. Speaking of that, my laptop’s due.

:+1 :+1

nothing is more refreshing for a computer than to simply wipe it clean

Great post.

How can anyone go around without virus protection!?

i have no idea… i get all annoyed when mine gets out of date.

I use AVG - it’s free and found more shit on my computer that Norton had no clue was there. I also use Spybot, and Ad-Aware. Computer cleans up real nice after a good virus and spyware scan. But like the other guys said… sometimes you just have to start clean.

If you don’t want to wipe your PC clean, try disabling everything that starts when your PC starts, this usually helps when diagnosing slowness problems. Click start, then run and then type msconfig. Click the startup tab and click “disable all” and then reboot your computer. Once you do that get yourself some anti-virus software and run a scan in safe mode first, then run in regular mode. That should help out a majority of your problems.

+1 AVG is the bomb. I use it on my server and my laptop, as well as any other pc i have reformatted or built for someone.

oh man you got it right. a fresh reinstall of windows is cooler than the cold side of the pillow. sometimes there is no other way out. but def worth trying some of the antivirus stuff, and definately shut everythign off in msconfig. slow or not i never let shit run on my computers.

seriously… on my server i have a lightining fast 10krpm sata drive that is for the OS and a reg 7200 rpm 300 gig that i use to actually store stuff. I keep all my data etc on the 300g one so i can flush windows periodically etc and keep the fast one, fast.

The lappy386 only has a single 40g i think, maybe next time i flush it i’ll partition it… i dunno yet.

I deleted about 700 more songs last night and ran defrag. and now my pc seems to be running alot quicker. I have the free version of AVG, but its out of date and I need to update it. lol

i’ve never had an anti virus on my home pc and it’s 9 years old :mwahaha

I actually don’t run an anti virus and have never ever had an issue as far as malware or viruses… I just watch what I do… I also download like crazy on the same laptop. Vlads got a laptop with an anti virus, that thing has soo many bugs and viruses I don’t know how he uses it

i’ve only had to use my anti-virus once or twice, but that was way back in the early days of warez and irc. long before torrents. still, i’d rather have it there if i need it.

IRC yesh… i havent been on irc in years LOL

I figured it out. I ran system updates and increased my virtual memory.

My PC is running smoothly again :banana

For some reason, a lot of programs on my comp just simply will not work. iTunes, Carbon Poker, UlitimateBet, etc… Any program I’ve DL’ed and installed since like… a long time ago. AIM Triton won’t work, IE7, Firefox, etc… I am using older versions of everything. I’ve had one virus on the comp before but it was a longggg time ago.