Got a computer virus, have a question.

i think i have IE 7 already for a while. I have mozilla and IE both to use but i prefer IE most of the time.

If your Internet Explorer has the tabbed browsing, then yes, you have IE7. Still, run your updates, make sure you have the latest fixes.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

avast > AVG

free also.
scanning real time - boot scan etc etc etc.

Do a boot scan with Avast and you *should be good to go.

AVG 8.0 is a total internet security suite like that of say a Norton, or Macafee, though unlike both Norton and Macafee, it actually works. If I remember correctly, Avast! is just an anti-virus, and in previous experience with it, it’s heuristics only seemed to pick up roughly two thirds of what AVG did, however I haven’t played with it in a while. Will check it out.

i keep running avg and it keeps finding stuff. computer still seems to be running slower than normal. I still have mcafee installed. should i uninstall it or is it good to keep there?

Definitely uninstall Mcafee!

You only want to have ONE piece of Anti-Virus software running at the same time.

What exactly is AVG finding? Tracking cookies, or more serious things?

When was the last time you cleared out your temp files?

I put my money on it finding the same trojan/worm over and over…not being able to exterminate it because its in critical system files that run even within “safe mode”

More than likely which is where a boot scan, or scanning the drive in another PC would come into play.

You and I are capable of that…but is the OP?

download ccleaner and run that, it should clear out most of the BS that builds up over time in Windows. It’s easy to use and doesn’t fuck shit up like other cleaners/registry cleaners.

x2

Just make sure to uncheck the install of the yahoo toolbar crap.

ok im running the ccleaner right now and i will uninstall mcaffe

ok, ran the ccleaner, uninstalled mcafee, and i am running another scan on the avg to see if it helps anything. It does keep coming up with what looks to be the same stuff.

I have never ran an update on windows so i have to figure out how to do that. what else should i do?

diaf?

Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools > Update Windows.

x2

I can understand why you agree with that considering you have 49 posts and drive a prelude. IE>*.browser

spybot search and destroy, ad aware, and failing that I can fix it, since that is what I do.

Check this out:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

It’s a GREAT program to clean up the temp. crap and cookies that accumulate on your PC.

It also has a built in add/remove program tool that can remove programs if you can not find the uninstaller. When it runs, you are able to adjust the number of “passes” used – the more the better.

Another cool thing is that it cleans the cookies, but NOT your saved passwords! So, you will have to re-login to pittspeed, gmail, etc. – but don’t have to re-enter your user info!

A list of features. . .

PS – It’s $FREE.99!!!

you’re about 8 posts too late there n00bie, but good try.