Mechanical Engineer Salary?

o Czechowski works in r&d, (new product development), met him once, real down to earth guy, most everyone there is very nice.

OT as an engineer will usually far outweigh the base, however, IMO, this should NOT be the basis for accepting a lower base salary. After all, it is OVER time, not, make up for your cheap salary by your own sacrifice time.

very true, the best case scenario would be to get the best of both worlds

When did they switch from BS ME-Technology to BS ME? I was just looking at their academics within the past month and I only saw BS ME-Tech.

edit: Just checked Buff State’s website, still am not seeing a BS in Mechanic Engineering. Are you referring to the Co-op 3-2 program?

buff state does not have a bsme they have a bs mechanical engineering technology which is what he and I am in. ( he was talking about the switch from BT MET to BS MET) does anyone know what the approx. starting salary for that is in wny? ive been wondering this for a while.

Also, is there any overlap in the types of jobs available or will UB graduates get a certain (higher level) job and the Buff State grads get the lower level stuff only?

please if you are going to awnser dont give me the “I have a big cock b/c I went to UB” I realize its a better school im just looking for facts or personal experiences on the matter from someone with first hand experience. Thanks for the response though

Most of my friends are starting around $60k

what degree from what school and in what area?

Average in Buffalo should be mid-40’s. Below 40 and you’re getting boned. Above 52ish and you did very well.

im assuming you went to UB (or a similar school) and got a straight ME degree?

is there anyone that you know of that works with you with a BS MET degree? if so do they hold a similar job title or is it lower? thanks for shedding some light if this applies to you

One of my co workers has an met degree from sunyit I believe and is in a higher level product design engineer position, also has about 5 years work experience. We don’t seem to put too much stress on types of degrees. I guess it depends on the company but I don’t think it will hold you back much.

thanks alot for the mature, objective advice. :tup:

From RIT information, nation wide not just western NY
EMEB Mechanical Engr BS/MS EMEB Engineering range 52000 - 72000 average 66600 updated 10/19/2007

ITFM Mechanical EngrTech ITFM Engineering range 38000 - 58000 average 50000 updates7/30/2007

they don’t break up the masters ME salary vs just a BS
I have had friends in the MET program making more out of school then some ME, it is really based on what the company is looking for.

I guess I will have to find out soon enough 9 months of co-op and 2 quarters of classes, well I guess not soon enough.

Thats what I always understood and thought. The way he worded he made it sound like a straight BS in ME. I didnt know that there was a difference between their BS and BT. As far as pay goes I have no input, but I wouldn’t think a BS in MET would fetch the same starting salary as a BS in ME. I guess it would really depend on the company.

they actually stopped offering the BT in MET now, the only way you can get one is if you started it and decided not to switch when the shcool did. I think its TEC/ABET that accredited the program and made it possible for the BS.

Overall I’m sure met has a lower average salary but there is much more to getting a job than whatever piece of paper you have.

I never quite understood met programs. What makes people take met rather than a full me program?

No offense to any MET majors, but from the looks of it, it seems to be a little less extensive of a degree/program. I am a 3-2 student at Fredonia (this is my last year, and I plan on completing my last 2 years at UB), and just looking over the curriculum, if I were to transfer there and go for a BS in MET (pending the credits transfer), it seems I would only need to take a semester rather than 4 additional semesters.

essentially there is only two levels of calc and one differential equation class, as opposed to UB’s 3 levels of calc. also I think there may be a higher physics requirement.

the main difference though is MET is hands on. There are no labs from what I hear in any of the engineering classes at UB

knowing what I know now I would transfer but I would lose too many credits

From my experience and that of friends of mine who are ME’s in the area, you can expect to get a starting salary in the mid to high 40’s in the WNY area with a BS degree. And MS will get you a little bit higher.

My company may be looking to hire a design engineer for the Buffalo office in the upcoming months. Talk to Walter though if you want to be a plastic vagina designer. I hear its a pretty sweet gig.

Yep.

Nope.

This is about right…