RIT vs. UB v.Engineering [update 2/4/10]

Heres my situation: I have an Auto body Degree from Alfred State plus 2 years of body shop experience. Right now I am going to GCC for business, planning on transferring to one of the above for fall '10. I want to double in Engineering and Business. Business because I figure I can run a body shop or something. Engineering because I have always wanted to be an engineer, so maybe that will lead me into a Management position in a OEM manufacturer or the like.

High school average was 93ish, 1210 SAT and 27 ACT (2003). 3.68 gpa at GCC so far.

I dont have any attachment to either school. I have always wanted to go to RIT just because, but the g/f might be going to UB for her masters in '11.

Pros/Cons of each school?

(any career path advice is definitely appreciated also)

Thanks guys.

UB has a combined Engineering and MBA program. I would suggest UB based on cost because it sounds like it’s been a while since you took any in depth math/science coursework. RIT might be too much of a financial risk at the beginning if it turns out to be too much for you.

Math has always been my strong suit. I took calc I and II in high school, of course I didnt get college credit then. Last semester I got an A in stats, and I expect the same out of calc and micro this semester.

I seem to be having a problem with early american history and world geography this semester, I can’t just remember shit to regurgitate for a test. I need to learn how to study.

Idk what you mean by ‘might be too much.’ Maybe since I have been out of school for a while? Yea that does suck, but I took 6 classes last semester, and 6 this semester, and I am doing pretty good I think. Granted, I know ‘real’ college will be a lot different, but I dont think it’s anything out of my grasp.

Well I got a BS in MechE at UB in 2004 and I’ll be finishing my MBA at UB in the spring, so I put my money where my mouth is. RIT’s a great school too, but you better have some deep pockets. It’s not worth 3x’s the student loans.

The 5 year combined program is good, the 4 year engineering degree then get a job and work for a couple of years and have your employer pay for your MBA (see: me) is even better. :tup:

have you thought of UofR? Both their engineering and MBA is top notch.

Between those two, I would go with RIT for the national recognition. Talk to most anyone outside of WNY, and they would pick RIT over UB.

If I go to Rochester it will be RIT, UofR is for nursing. lol

Thats what I am thinking…

As for cost. It’s only money, that’s not a determining factor for me. Dont get me wrong, I’m not rich by any means, but I’m after an education, not a bargain. Plus I would probably qualify for grants and the like. Also, next year I will be 24 so I can finally qualify for financial aid

I’m in my 4th year of industrial engineering at UB. I know that the IE program offers a 5 year ie/mba degree program. However, from what I hear, the workload is insanely demanding. You can see if other engineering majors offer anything similar.

What kind of engineering?

Not sure, probably mechanical engineering (maybe automotive? I dont like to pigeon hole my self if possible, gotta keep my options open).

Again, any advice is welcome. I am just throwing ideas out there on where I should head. I loved doing autobody, but I couldnt do that as a career my whole life.

I would like to work for a OEM manufacturer designing how cars are made. I used to work for John Holtz, I really like how the BMW’s and MB’s were designed. It just makes sense how they do most things. I want to be involved with that.

I just graduated this past spring from RIT with my BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I am currently in search of a full time job, along with everyone else. RIT can be a hard school both socially and academically, but seems to be worth it in the end. I was a part of the RIT Baja SAE team which is known nationally and the same goes with the formula team, either one is good to have on your resume.

I kind of backed myself into a corner focusing on automotive which is not helping me in the job search, I co-oped at 2 automotive corp. I really should have co-oped in medical for at least one co-op.

just an fyi, a good gpa and good internships will do you better in the long run than spending a ton of money enrolling at RIT

yes, speaking of internships. I know RIT mandates alteast 4(?on the #) PAID internships. how does UB compare?

My one friend who is about to graduate from RIT said one semester at an internship pays for a semester of school. He has had some sweet co-ops too, Logistics at toyota being one of them

here is the other thing to consider…as i’m currently setting myself up at ECC to go down this path as well by transferring to RIT… do you want a degree in engineering SCIENCE, or engineering TECH. if you want science, you go to UB. if you want tech, you go to RIT.

My vote is UB just because of the cost difference…

This is probably not the best place to ask this question.

I’m happy I transferred to UB instead of UoR or Cornell, but this is owed much to the individual department (Chemical Engineering) rather than UB itself (which, as an institution, needs some work). Success is individual, though. Go to where you will be most comfortable.

right… youre going to get a ton of bias… but IMO the prestige from RIT over UB is not worth the 3x in tuition… hard work, good grades, a decent personality, and good internships/extracuriculars are going to make up for the difference in loans… I enjoyed my time at UB and ive lived in both cities… i like buffalo better.

If you took out loans for everything, and got your BS in M-E from UB, what would the payments look like after you graduate? Would they really be a third of RIT’s? We just started crunching the numbers for my wife’s education (graduating in Dec), and it makes me sick.

All I gotta say is you better be up on your calc or you will be dropping ME like a bad habit. lol

UB doesn’t require internships as a part of their program. RIT is a 5 year program because of it though. If you want an internship at UB, they do help and it’s pretty easy to find opportunities. I’d rather pay less, get good grades/internships, be done after 4 years, and make the same amount of money after.

RIT:

full time matriculated day student is ~ $28k/year

http://finweb.rit.edu/sfs/billing/tuitionandfees/0910/undergraduate/fulltime.html

UB:

Full Time day student is ~ $7.5k/year

http://src.buffalo.edu/studentaccount/falltuition.shtml

so yeah, it is a 3x difference, and those figures are TUITION only…that doesn’t touch books,housing,food,etc…