Anyone in UB's MBA program?

I got a phone call today that I was accepted for Fall 2008 :slight_smile:

Wondering how the course load is, opinions about teachers, advice, etc…

:wave:

PMBA. It’s not hard, but combined with a full time job and a home life it keeps me busy. Today I worked, returned a power auger that I rented last night to snake out my sewer line, went back to work, left work early because National Fuel was installing a meter for my new service for my new furnace, now I’m studying for my Accounting final, later I’m taking my accounting final, and then I’m going out to celebrate having finished accounting.

lol but it’s that insane time of year right now. All fall it’s been OK.

my pharmacy friend is doing a pharmD/MBA compared to that he says the MBA is cake/manageable, the worst part is group projects, lol

Congrats! I hope i have the drive to get a MBA after the BA.

Have fun :slight_smile: I am getting my MBA soon. The courses looked alright but those group projects meh. Plus this would be at Champlain College in Vermont not UB :slight_smile: It’s all online.

MBA is easy/fun. Way better than undergrad. Common sense can actually help your grade! :jawdrop:

Dew it!

I knew I had to do it now. Five years or so down the road, there’s no way I was going to go back to school.

I finished UB’s full time MBA program 3 years ago. First year can be somewhat repetitive if you took business for undergrad, but otherwise a good program.

redrum…would you say that getting your MBA dramatically helped your current earning or your forseeable future earning?

(for reference- i graduate from UB with a BS in business admin (accounting and finance) in May. I already have signed for a public accounting position and plan on getting my CPA asap after graduation. do you think it would be worthwhile for me to consider the MBA track as well?)

Congrats! :party:

Thanks!

Possibly lots of drinks at BWW on Friday :slight_smile: of course, that doesn’t compare to Quote Fridays :lol:

For me currently, its hard to say from an earnings standpoint. Though UB has a good MBA program, its not going to pull the big salary premium like a Harvard, Wharton, etc. MBA degree. It may have more of an impact in an area with a more robust economy, but in Buffalo (if you plan on staying here), I’d say the MBA will either a)get you a job over another candidate who just has a BS, or b)get you into a job that requires a maybe 2-4 years more experience than you actually have. So yes, it would be beneficial from an earnings standpoint, but I’d guess maybe in the range of 5-10% annual salary. Just dont expect that an employer is going to pay you 60k with an MBA for a position they pay 40k to BS grads with equivalent work experience.

In the end, you’ll see that experience talks far more than diplomas no matter where you go, but I would definitely get it though with if you have the opportunity now. You’ll be glad you have it out of the way, especially in the accounting/finance field where 95% of the managers and executives have MBAs.

I’d say if you did the full time program, which would effectively delay your entrance to your career path by 2 years (internships notwithstanding, but still very important), when you graduate the MBA and get a job, you might find yourself even with or a bit behind where you would have been had you gotten a good job with your BS and worked those two years. However, you’ll find that you quickly catch up to/surpass those who did that (in the same field).

Edit: I think that an MBA would be more incrementally beneficial to someone who has a non-business degree, such as engineering, chemistry, etc, as it is adding an entirely new skill set to their resume. MBA on top of a business degree definitely helps, but just not as much as it is ‘more of the same’.

this not only applies to the accounting/finance field. I rarely meet an executive that does not have a post graduate degree. I am talking about real self made executives, not the ones that hold C-suite positions at thier fathers businesses.

I have had to deny people positions because they did not have post graduate degrees. They were great and could have done the job just as well if not better than the person with the masters, but corporate HR wants to see the MBA.

thats part of the reason I went for my MBA. I was a psychology major for my undergrad.

I’ll have my engineering degree from UB in may and was thinking about the MBA program.

Should I:

A) Go right into it
B) Work a year or two, move out of my rents house into my own and pay it off.
And go to UB for it.
C) Work a year and go somewhere else for it.

^ Get a job and have them pay for it.

Ultra it depends on a lot of different factors…My brother was told by advisors to go get 3-5 yrs work experience then try if he wants to get an MBA from UB. He’s got a 3.5 and is getting a finance degree. Talk to an advisor, it really is worth the piece of mind.

Work paying for it is nice, but working full time and going to school is not.

Personally I’d just keep going and get it over with.

Advisors tell you to work a few years because having people with more work experience in the graduate classroom makes the school look better and contributes to the learning environment. I don’t believe, however, that it would significantly improve your own learning experience by having worked a few years.

However, if you can’t get in straight from undergrad, the work experience will probably do it for you.

I just went straight through as a full time MBA student for a year at Canisius… finished my BS in finance last december and have my last MBA final tomorrow night. Being in the evening program and seeing the people drained from work all day come in dead and have to sit through 3 hours of class really made me feel like I made the right decision. I found that a lot of my classmates that were balancing school and work really ended up half assing their performance at both. Personally, even taking 5-6 classes a semester, not having a job to compete for my time really helped, but naturally not everyone is in the financial situation to be able to do that. I’m finding a lot of the high-end entry and slightly above entry-level job opportunities in finance being opened to me, though i haven’t signed with one officially, because the firms are tired of losing their best performers after 2-3 years when they go back to school.

What does one wear to a business school interview? Do I have to buy a suit?