RIT vs. UB v.Engineering [update 2/4/10]

That’s alright. I have been leaning towards RIT so I just need solid reasons to change my mind. Because if the girl drops out of the picture I don’t want to be wishing I was at RIT

I think it all depends on a specific engineering direction. RIT has some decent programs and so does UB.
And funny: UB and RIT buisnes schools are tied in Us news rankings - I guess it depends on the size of school you prefer.

RIT doesn’t publish a whole lot. I wouldn’t say they’re contributing to science as much as they should given all the clout their graduates seem to think their degrees afford them…

elaborate? you mean how RIT is technical while UB is more research/science based? and UB population >RIT population?

how much would a RIT engineering degree differ from a UB engineering degree just based on the tech/science difference in the job market/real world?

or that pesky thing called interest.

RIT is 3 co-ops; 2-6 months and 1-3 month. I averaged 18/hour on Co-op with 40+ hours per week. RIT is on the quarter system also, which makes it even harder because of the short time in one class.

Like EE and CE I think are better at RIT. ChemE I think is better at UB. Not sure about ME and IE.

I’m talking about B-school. Saunders is tiny.

Ah, right. Saunders was pretty small in comparison to the rest of the campus.

thus far I would only be interested in ME or maybe IE. I am trying to keep my end result automotive based, unless I can be advised otherwise.

RIT just started their ChemE department.

Are you kidding… U of R Simon Buisness school is very very good.

FYI… none of those degrees will focus on automotive. For the most part engineering degrees teach you how to learn, what you do with it is up to you.

As far as being automotive focused, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU BASE YOUR CAREER ON A DYING INDUSTRY?!?! HAVE YOU BEEN LIVING UNDER A ROCK FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS? DID YOU NOT SEE THE GOVERNMENT HAVE TO SAVE THE WHOLE FUCKING INDUSTRY? Holy shitty career decisions batman. Find a GROWING industry to chase. :picard:

Besides, you won’t be designing cars you’ll be designing components or subsystems or whatever, and it won’t matter to you whatsoever if it’s going on a car or an industrial gas plant or a plastic toy. It’ll just be different design constraints.

I think goober gave you the best advice though, check them both out and (as long as you can swing the private school tuition) go wherever you are the most comfortable.

I’ve interviewed a ton of engineers over the last couple of years, and have been involved all the way down to selecting candidates. Nobody really seems to give a shit about the name of the school. They look at GPA, work experience (you’re fucked if you finish an engineering degree without an internship), activities/involvement, and interpersonal/communication skills.

Visit them both, talk to faculty about their programs, read about them. You’ll get a feel for which one is for you.

But seriously, make cars your hobby not your job. Fuck you might as well go into film camera design…

UB’s business school is one of the top ten in the nation. And the engineering program is pretty solid.

I say UB for the ENG/MBA 5 year program for sure.

^source? lol… last i checked it was closer to top 30-40 range… :wink:

I saw it in Alfiero a couple years back. Not sure if it has held it’s status, but either way it’s a good fucking school. :tup:

x1234214214321421342143

It’s definitely not top ten. It’s very good, as is their engineering program, but not top ten.

Like I said, I saw it a couple years ago so it must have changed. :gotme:

When I was a freshman, I went into ME at UB with high hopes of working for some awesome automotive company, designing cool car parts and shit.

Now I am in IT, and have a Computer Science degree.

Fuck, idk. I was hoping I could use my prior degree to add to my education and give me an advantage over my peers. I realize it’s a dying industry, but it will never be dead. It will just be more competitive with there being fewer openings. I am not discounting anything you say or saying I am stuck on my decision, I am just letting you know my rationale.

Ugh. Indecision sucks. Sometimes communism has appeal; too many choices and I suck at making decisions, someone needs to tell me what to do and I’ll bow my head in submission and do it.

I could have easily made $70-80k at holtz, most of the guys do now, but they all told me to get out and do better for myself. So here I am.

Yup, you’re an engineer.

How do you know when you’re dealing with an extroverted engineer? He looks at YOUR shoes when he talks to you. :mamoru: