Debt ?'s

OK so heres what im thinking of doing and woudl like some feed back. Next fall ( Fall of 08 ) im going to go to college. Right now im a junior in HS. I was thinking of doing my first two years at ecc then transfering to UB. I talked to an advisor at UB and the program im taking at ecc will completely transfer. I have the grades to get in to UB. But i am paying for school entirely on my own and would like to have as little school loan debt as possible after graduation. So does anybody see problems with my plan. The program id be in is engineering sci. Every class would trans.

sounds like the right plan to me, if all the credits will in fact transfer, there is no reason to take the classes for more $$$ and foreign teachers

lol do you go to UB. and if so waht do you think of it

wtf is engineering sci?

you WANT to wind up with a BS in ______ Engineering.

NOT engineering tech, or engineering _______. Those degrees suck.

yes i go to UB. i like it other than the general ed requirements as i always seem to get stuck with foreign teachers and i cant understand them and i had to take calc three times

MCC in rochester has a 2 + 2 program. You go to MCC for 2 years and get a degree and then you are automatically accepted as a junior at a 4 year school. You should see if ECC has an official program like this. If not your plan sounds basically the same. In the end all that matters is where you get the 4 year degree from. So if you could save 2 years of higher tuition then why not do it?

thats what im in. at ecc its called dual admissions

Holy God, someone on NYSpeed with a brain! :jawdrop:

:clap:

Just make sure you’re not wasting time at ECC. I.E. is this a 2+2 program like slasky’s talking about? If so then 2 years at community college, then 2 years at UB’s engineering school is an absolutely outstanding idea.

Listen to newman on the degree thing, and listen to focus on the gen eds.

First thing you want to do is schedule an appointment with an advisor at BOTH schools. Be absolutely positive of what classes will transfer, trust me UB doesnt care about you, youre just another number.

what degree will you wind up with?

i think ecc/ub has a 2+2 or 2+3 or something

i want a BS in structural engineering from ub after ecc i will enter ub as a 3rd year student. i talk to this lady at UB and someone at ECC

I liked UB so much I’ve gone back. I finished my BS ME degree in December 2004, at UB the whole time. It was hard, but a good engineering school and I’m doing well now. Last night I had my first MBA class, again at UB.

i don’t know what you’re planning on doing, but i think a mechanical degree would be a better choice.

Bikerfry - Thats kool i hope i like it as much as you did. Im not worried about the shit tranfering because from what both schools said it will. My main concern is my education. Will i be as prepared for my third year as the people who were at UB the whole time. People try to tell me i wont be. My one friend said calculus is harder at ub the ecc. He has never even went to ecc so i dont understand that. Math is math where ever you go right?

i’d make absolutely sure the ecc credits will transfer into ub for engineering. alot of times they don’t and you’ll wind up taking them again. you also have to make sure you get accepted into the school of engineering, getting into ub doesn’t automatically mean the engineering school will take you too.

:uhh:

[quote=“newman,post:4,topic:34565"”]

wtf is engineering sci?

you WANT to wind up with a BS in ______ Engineering.

NOT engineering tech, or engineering _______. Those degrees suck.

[/quote]

yup.

UB > BSC, ECC, NCCC

edit: if you get a B.T. from buff state, its another 4 years or so
to get a B.S. (part time anyway)

[quote=“BikerFry,post:12,topic:34565"”]

I finished my BS ME degree in December 2004,

[/quote]

Not to thread hijack, but Ive been itching to go back and get a mechanical engineering degree for awhile now. I was accepted to UB and Canisius coming out of HS, and I went with Canisius for my CS degree. The last contact I had with UB was when they wanted me for their MBA program, which I was just wrapping up at Canisius too. I wonder if I should contact admissions or someone in the ME dept to see what sort of credits Id need based on what Ive already taken to get these 2 degrees.

I know you can go from a BS in one engineering discipline to an MS in another engineering discipline. They’re probably not similar enough, but I wonder if you could look into an engineering Masters from a CS degree. :gotme:

http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/about_directory.php

Shoot an email to Kerry Collins-Gross, if she’s not the right person to talk to she’ll know who to forward you to.

[quote=“BikerFry,post:18,topic:34565"”]

I know you can go from a BS in one engineering discipline to an MS in another engineering discipline. They’re probably not similar enough, but I wonder if you could look into an engineering Masters from a CS degree. :gotme:

Shoot an email to Kerry Collins-Gross, if she’s not the right person to talk to she’ll know who to forward you to.

[/quote]

Hmm, a masters in it would be fine too. Its as much for my own education as it would be a career opportunity, so if it took alittle longer, thats not a problem. As long as I wouldnt have to re-do everything, because 21 years of honors english classes and AP history are quite enough, haha. Thanks for the tip, I’ll send her an email.

Im not 100% sure but UB I think has a 5 year dual engineering degree program too. If engineering is something you truly wanna do, that might be for you too.