Mechanical Engineer Salary?

I don’t think this is right.

I sure know I’m either in lab or writing lab reports for most of my hours awake on earth right now. I’m ChemE though.

It’s not right. There are labs in most engineering classes at UB. I always loved them because the kids with the highest averages couldn’t figure out righty-tighty lefty-loosey. :bloated: One time an entire fucking group thought they had a leaking globe valve until I walked over and twisted the stem clockwise to close it. :picard:

ME is a good degree.

my employers laugh at MET degrees. shit’s weak.

I’m sure it depends on how big the company is that you want to work for. Smaller companies that don’t see as many applicants might let you slide on certain education requirements “if you know someone”. Most entry level jobs are like that at smaller companies.

X…

90% of the “homework” I did was finishing up lab reports 15 minutes before they were due (with a 14 minute print quee).

CHE157 - chem lab (basic)
PHY158 - physics 2 lab (electrical and some physics 1)
PHY258 - physics 3 lab (wave theory)
MAE334 - analysis and instrumentation labs (death)
MAE340 - systems labs (more death)
MAE385 - materials lab
MAE3xx - heat transfer lab

can’t remeber them all, not counting any of the comp labs.

If your going to buff state, you better bust your ass on getting an internship or
some marketable experience to make you stand out over other candidates.

From what I have seen coursework wise, the mechanical program is better than the
electrical in that there are options to work with outside companies.

Your degree will be whatever you make of it.
If you bust your ass and can relate your education to solving real problems that
people deal with every day, then you would by default be more attractive.

Another MUST, is to put your education down like this on your resume:
“State University of New York College at Buffalo” instead of Buffalo State. Spell it out in the chance that they will not bother to read the whole line :wink:

Then go for the Masters in Industrial Tech.
If you have a real job, its not a difficult program.

Also, to transfer your BSC degree to most any other schools will be a PITA.
ex. If I had wanted to go to UB to get en EE degree, I would have to go for years and years in that there is virtually no overlap.

Yeah, make the College in microscopic or white font too.

Honestly the main difference is MET is a lot more hands on than ME, I have an MET degree and make more than I know I should be, and significantly more than most ME’s with 1/2 years experience, and equivalent qualifications, but again it is where you work more than anything

essentially true, if you are half way competent, you can get through the MET program at RIT, which is a BS, with little to no technical knowledge if you planned right, but you can also get a lot more real world hands on experience in the labs we are offered.

incorrect, it actually covers a lot more practicality of subjects, vs just theories.

tsk tsk tsk… I know a bunch of MET’s that will blow ME’s out of the water with what they know, how they apply it and work ethic. There are a bunch of people that switch from ME to MET because of the classes we are offered. (English isn’t one of them)

that is pretty week if those are the major lab based classes you took, this is are major one, not including the gen ed, ie (3)phys, (3)chem, (3)bio, and not including ones where the projects where in lab(about another 8 classes), but the class was room based, and no computer based labs as well.

0520 501 20044 SENIOR SEMINAR
0609 411 20052 ELEC PRIN I
0609 412 20063 ELECT PRIN II
0610 211 20023 INTRO MATERIALS TECHNLGY
0610 220 20023 DESIGN DIMENSIONING &TOL
0610 304 20023 MATERIALS TESTING
0610 305 20032 PNEUMATIC & HYDRAULIC SY
0610 315 20033 PRINCIPLES MECH DESIGN I
0610 407 20042 MECH ENGR TECH LAB
0610 409 20041 MECH ENGE LAB II
0610 451 20043 VIBRATION & NOISE
0610 465 20053 THERMO/FLUID LAB
0610 509 20052 PRODUCT DESIGN
0610 519 20053 PRODUCT REALIZATION
0610 570 20051 ROBUST DESIGN
0610 599 20042 MACRO&MICRO METAL FUSION
0617 220 20021 MANUF PROCESSES
0617 420 20022 MANUF PROCESSES II

here is some free learning too.

ME vs. MET…some people are a little confused. As a whole, MET might be a little more hands on, but it really depends on which school you go to. RIT MEs are more application than that UofR MEs. I work with both, and this seems to be the case for the most part. Extracurricular stuff (Formula SAE/Minibaja) will make anyone more hands on.

At the couple of places I’ve worked, METs and MEs start at similar salaries, but in different positions. More importantly, the rate at which those salaries increase is different. There is a much higher ceiling for MEs than METs.

As far as the salaries listed above from the RIT website, they seem a touch inflated if they are for BS degrees starting out. I’m pressure sure that the numbers are “reported”, why would you go blabbing to the world if you have a crappy salary or didn’t get a job after graduation?

This is true, and I would not be surprised if they inflate the numbers a bit to increase interest. If I averaged the starting salaries of all my ME buddies I graduated with it would fall short of the numbers shown on their web page.

There are some people out there that do not even know the difference between ME and MET…I actually had one of my CO-OP bosses tell me they thought MET was a better degree than ME. A smooth talking MET could probably talk their way into a pretty sweet salary if you come across one of these people

Maybe RIT included overtime?

before worrying about the salary focus on getting the degree =)

This thread makes me love IT

but QFT from another RIT/BSMET.

I work with both ME’s and MET’s; and from personal experience; most ME’s are great at theory and thinking shit up; but when it comes to real-world thinking, applying the theories, and making something; most don’t have a CLUE.

I’m not talking your normal whatever companies either, I’m talking Cessna, Boeing, Lockheed, BAE Systems, Sikorsky, Eclipse, Hawker/Beech, etc, etc, etc. I deal with these high-level Aero/ME’s and most are great at coming up with ideas, but when you try and explain why something won’t work or is unfeasible (for physics, manufacturing, or cost reasons) they just look at you like you’re speaking pig-Latin.

The degree is just a piece of paper; it’s the knowledge you personally have and if you “get it” is what will get you places and a salary. You just need to prove it to the people you work with to start out.

As for Co-ops and internships, I can’t stress them enough; they make a world of difference in everything when you start out. I did over 2 years worth while at RIT; both full time and part time while taking classes.

I’ve never heard of an employer saying “Oh I’m sorry, we were only looking for an MET.”

Just sayin. :shrug:

That is very true.

I have seen the opposite though, and can agree for some positions (Theoretical based jobs mostly); but for 95% of the positions either degree could fill the job.

These is the “stigma” out there about the MET degree and how inferior it is to some employers; when in reality if the employer is looking for someone hands-on and not a theory/analysis jockey; the MET is probably a better fit.

That extra “T” is for Technician :smiley:
You will probably have to work harder to get in the door.

In the real world, it means you will need to go outside the
course outline to get deeper into theory.

If I could go back, I would have rather tried and failed into my B.T.
that started right out of high school shooting for it.

You should get plenty of hits for jobs req. an AAS though.
Use BSC for what its worth.
All your prof’s will have .PhD and most will be helpful.

Don’t worry. Once you hit corporate America, you can fail upward.

I think that’s what most of the Engineers now Managers/Leads that I deal with did…

Actually it is technology

In the real world, it means you will need to go outside the
course outline to get deeper into theory.

If I could go back, I would have rather tried and failed into my B.T.
that started right out of high school shooting for it.

Most X Engineering Technology schools give you a BS, not a BT

You should get plenty of hits for jobs req. an AAS though.
Use BSC for what its worth.
All your prof’s will have .PhD and most will be helpful.

You will get many hits for jobs requiring a BSME as well

Don’t worry. Once you hit corporate America, you can fail upward.

thats the fucking truth though

On another note, most teachers still teach you as much if not more theory in MET as ME, you sort of need to know theory before you try making something work otherwise you end up blowing shit up, hurting yourself or best yet going out with a big bang…