Metal Polishing 101

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE, yes! that looks so awesome!

great job man! i am going to give this a shot this winter. i have a bunch of stuff i wanna do while my motor is out. i was told to use a 8" buffer setup but i see you are using a 6" setup, do you have any trouble with it bogging down at all?

Very impressive! Nice work.

you wanna make some money this winter? if so, i might be able to give you some junk to shine up.

I’ll drop my engine off, get to work on it!

I may have some business for you as well if you are interested. My intercooler pipes and the sides of it need to be done.

The 6 works fine, but yeah bit boggs a little when it gets hot. electric motors dont like heat!

Thanks dude! :thumbup

I like money, we should hang out… Quick what movie is that from???

But yeah, I will do some parts up for you this winter. Lemmi know when your ready.

Sure thing! Same deal with MK4, just let me know when your ready to bring stuff by. Should be a piece of cake.

Anyone who wants some stuff done, I am not here to rob a bank, I just like working on cars and getting the expierence under my belt and having some pics for stuff I have done becasue one day I might need a resume to start my own shop! :wink:

holy SHIT!!! how’d you like to polish the lips on these bad boys???

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/kramerbuccs24/1988%20MR2%20Supercharged/0708091639.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/kramerbuccs24/1988%20MR2%20Supercharged/CIMG5326.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/kramerbuccs24/1988%20MR2%20Supercharged/0624091900.jpg

the lips are off the wheel. I’d like them mirror, of course, I don’t know if those pictures are good enough to let you know i you can get them perfect, I tried and failed miserably to shine them up myself

PM me with options and potential pricing, plz. Thanks!!

Man, I could really go for a Starbucks.

needa date? I had a long ass day

4-show! PM is headed your way.

sickkkkkkk. also the stainless bolts and centercaps too :smiley:

:lol

Well played.

now your going over kill. lol not really… the caps are a piece of cake, but the bolts, might be projectiles, lol maybe find some rubber caps for the threads, and stick them in vise grips. or make a block and tap about 10 holes and thread them in and do 10 at a time… I like that idea better as I type it! lol

haha like i said we’ll figure it out over thanksgiving :slight_smile:

How much was this whole polishing setup? Id like to finish my Valve cover and do my RBC intake manifold at some point too. I already have the bench setup, powerdrill, dremel tools.

just ask him to do it his prices are good.

About $50 for the el-cheapo bench machine, each wheel is about $5-7 one per compound you can mix them up, compounds are about 5$ each you need black(heavy cut), red(med cut), grey(light cut) atleast. Greasless is $8 a lb, you need 5 different grits 80, 120, 180, 240 & 400. then you can hit black rouge on up. Each little felt bob is like 3-7$ each for the roto tool. BTW the shaft is 1/4" so a dremel wont hold it.

so at min, around $100 for wheels, the min needs compounds and a few bobs. Plus a can of brakecleaner to get the black shit off between steps, a wheel rake $15 to clean/scuff the wheel between compound applications, some wetsand paper you will need here and there, then you want some zoop or what ever aluminum sealer to keep the shine.

Thanks for the props! +1, 4 u!

Yeah PM me if you want, I can do it for you for less than the cost of materials I quoted above.

hmmmm

No problem brother, I’m all for supporting a local guy tryin’ to make a buck :thumbup

I’m 100% going to be giving you a call around 11/23-ish, need to figure out if I want to salvage the original BBS bolts or just cough up the cash for 136 new ones from Black Forest.

:number1 sweetness. I thought about it, if I made a block and tapped about 13 holes in it I could do 11 laps and they would all be done… it wouldnt be that much of a PIA once i make the block. so what ever you want to do is cool with me

alright. my only concern is that i believe some of the bolts are slightly bent and i wouldn’t want to compromise the safety of the wheels just for the sake of keeping them 100% original.