hmmm... "smoothing" pitted metal?

Anyone know of a good way to do it? I was going to powdercoat my brake calipers black this winter and wanted to get rid of “most” of the pits/dimples on the cast surface. Anyone have any good techniques for doing this? Besides a dremmel and lots of time lol

High temp jb weld and a sander? Just throwing that out there. I would take the time and use a dremel, or pay a metal polishing shop to do it.

you could use an air tool with a nice big grinding stone on it, would work faster and would make it smoother than a dremel

i would say use a big sander, and keep on goin down to smaller grits, use die grinder for tight areas

angle grinder!!!

pneumatic tooling is your friend. but id say use an abrasive wheel rather than a stone. you dont wanna go nuts with removing material.

def use air tools… if you don’t have them, you will wish you did

+1

I’d actually recommend a non-woven clean and prep disc in coarse and one in medium. will not remove material deeply, leaves a great finish for PC’ing. you can use them on 3" pneumatics or 4.5" angle grinders. I’ve had great success with them.

could also use a flap wheel (IE a sandpaper flap disk) in an electric die grinder. Not sure about welding supply companies but wherever you can go to get welding stuff, should have wheels in large supply and various grits…

bah … with flapper wheels you buy all that extra sand paper that never gets exposed … i hate flapper wheels with a passion unless in using then to port something, like when i did the manifold on my lebaron