Microsoft Cert Exams? 70-290 Specifically

I’ve noticed that there’s lots of IT guys in here so I figure I’ll ask your opinions…basically, I’m getting nervous. My company is paying for me to take my first M$ certification on Monday at 9:00AM. I’m taking exam 70-290, “Managing and Maintaining Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment”.

Has anyone here taken this exam?

For preparation I’ve read the MS Press 70-290 book, done some online research, practiced with Test Out’s Lab Simulation software, and taken a bunch of practice exams with Thompson-Prometic software and Transcender software.

I must admit that I’m getting real nervous. Reading online reviews, some folks act like the exam is easy, others act like it’s fucking impossible.

Any feedback from those here who have taken this exam, or really any of the 20003/XP MCSA/MCSE exams, is greatly, greatly appreciated!

MSCE…lawl. Um, I wouldnt worry abou tit too much. Ive taken courses and practice tests before in school, from what I can remember they werent too hard, just be sure to have your vocab down pat. For me, logic is the easy part, being certain of the vocab definitions helps work through the wordy trick questions. Being aware of the correct terminology is the best.

Did you actually take the real tests, or only practice tests?

‘only’ practice tests, but if you look at the skills being measured; http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.mspx
and you do stuff like that on a daily basis, it should be cake. Knowing Microsoft, always pay attention to their ‘best practices’ for each subject.

Passed today! Needed a 700, got an 871. Boo-yah.

Congrats!

they are all easy for an mcse!

Maybe for an IT weapon of mass destruction like you…but for noobs like me, it was pretty tough!

well i didn’t mean easy like you can walk in all big time and pass… but anyone with ambition and the ability to study and apply will do fine…

it weapon of mass destruction LOL!!!

I gotcha…

Now the next exam should be pretty fucking easy- I’m taking 70-270, the Windows XP exam. I can’t imagine it being difficult; no Active Directory, no group policy, no IIS, no Terminal Services, ect.

After that is 70-291, and I hear it’s a bitch.

I’m thinking about going to take some tests since I don’t have time/money to finish my degree. Or I’m really bored.

Only one I took so far is MCP 70-271, supporting users running XP… was pretty easy.

I want to start on MCSE tests this year as I am poor and need a better job… lol

i would be careful… mcse’s aren’t as guaranteed as they used to be. I would shoot for the MCA personally, but i suppose you would need to hold an architectural position in the first place.

I completed my MCSA, Security (for 2003/XP) about a year ago. The tests were not that hard after I passed the first one and kind of knew what to expect. The only other one I had any trouble with was 70-291.

The certs (MCSA, CWNA, CEH, and Security+) definitely helped my career…they were a major factor in me moving from user support to information security.

This year I’m testing for CISSP in the fall. I’ll probably pick up a Server 2008 cert too.

I’d like to get back into studying for more Certs, as of now I only have A+

Need to find a job to help pay for them haha.

i take the new exhange 2007 test next week and will get the mcitp for 2008 a few months after that.