compTIA +network

is this cert any fucking good or a total waste of time, company will pay for it but i don’t want to learn everything i already know…

certs don’t “hurt”

all depends what you are going for.

if you want to be a network operator. net+ security+ are good. but if you want to be the cio the cissp is what you would want.

make sense?

mainly just for when we have large installs on client networks

prob do it then, anyone gone through it?

i have training cds and a book i think on it… never went through it. cant be that hard. cant be hardware specific… more of a generalist cert if you ask me

if you are doing installs its a competitive advantage for you to have certs because on paper “you look better” than the average person.

now. also, fyi, i have seen some IDIOTS with 3 alphabets after their name, use that to your advantage too.

I have mine, very simple. It’s very general as long as you know basic networking you will have no problem passing with flying colors.

I have all my books for it still if you want to take a look.

The tests only mean so much. Seriously, any idiot can go to www.transcender.com and download the tests for a fee. After a week of cramming the material, they can pass the tests and move on. :shrug:

^^^ bingo. There was a guy at college with me that could barely assemble a computer without frying something, yet he scored almost perfect on the A+, Net+ and Linux+ exams simply because he could learn better by reading than actually doing.

He then flunked out due to numerous boards being fried. Idiot, haha.

i have mine its easy, take it, it cant hurt.

the one nice thing is that if you get Net+ along with A+ then microsoft will accept those towards your MCSE and then you have a lot more on your resume.

in terms of your career - it won’t get you a good job. BUT: if it comes down to deciding between two equally qualified candidates, then one with the certification will probably win.

it also really helps with the government since they often won’t let you touch their systems with out certifications period.

Yea its a simple elective you can take for your MCSE…besides that it sucks lol

If someone else is paying for you to take it…just do it.

certs depend on what you are looking to do.

i have been working in networking for the last 3 years so when I got out of school i was able to go right into working. my company is paying me to get certified through their partner vendor since as a business partner we get benefits and awards for having everyone be a certain level of certification. things like if you are certified, you get automatic escalation of help tickets about products to avoid the simple level 1 troubleshooting talk. again, i would never pay for these since its very vendor specific but it is nice to build up on your resume in the future.

some places do ask for a type of cert before they look at you to prove what you know. it is a standard since anyone can say they have “networking expierence” so it might be good to know. i would save your time and money and take a higher level one such as CCNA since “Cisco” is a buzz word in the industry.

i am working on A+ right now =(

Funny, I also need my cert. for a new job I’m working on. Anyone wanna lend me books, CD so I can freshen up on it? I’m responsible, or I would be willing to buy it if the price is right.

Bump

Anyone know where and when the exams are? I need to take the test, so I can start a a new job.

once i get my login i can send you a :snky: link to the webinars if you want

No offense, but what is there to “work on” when it comes to A+? lol.

Please do, where are you taking the test and when?

In class now, I took the test awhile back and its no picnic. Seriously though, I dont like how Comp TIA words the questions.

I just completed my A+ last week, well I’ve got one more exam.

Network+ is easy

A+ has a ton of material 85% of which you will never use or need to know which sucks…