Midwest floods may send gas up 15% or approx 61 cents per gallon.

its getting retarded rediculous now.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/13/news/economy/corn_ethanol/index.htm?cnn=yes

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – Continued flooding in Iowa and Illinois - the nation’s top two corn-growing states - is inciting fears that the cost of the high-priced crop could soar even further, driving up ethanol and gas prices, too.
Days of heavy rain across the Midwest “corn belt” region have wreaked havoc on the crop, sending front-month prices to $7.08 a bushel on the Chicago Board of Trade Friday. Corn futures have risen for 7 straight trading sessions.
Since ethanol - a mandated ingredient in U.S. gasoline - is produced domestically with corn, rising crop prices could send already record gasoline prices even higher.
“The floods in the Midwest will have a major impact on ethanol,” said Phil Flynn, senior market analyst at Alaron Trading in Chicago.
Gasoline in the United States is comprised of only about 6% to 10% ethanol, as mandated by federal and state governments. But Flynn believes gas prices could jump 10% or 15% if corn were to hit $10 a bushel and crude oil maintains its current high level.
With the national average of gasoline at a record $4.07 a gallon, according to AAA, a 15% increase would translate into an additional 61 cents.
“Crude oil is still the predominant factor why gas prices are high, but don’t think that 6% to 10% isn’t going to matter,” Flynn said.

jesus

I bet you have a nice radioactive glow from sitting in front of a monitor all day watching oil/gas prices.

Sucks, but oh well.

yeah my face is bright red and my blood pressure is skyrocketing.

i mean whats next, a hurricane? maybe we can hit $7 a gallon. :roll:

+1 for hydrogen cars. I can’t wait till they are affordable. Imagine never buying gasoline. Frees up about $80/week for me.

“Ethanol is the solution!”

What ever happened to that mentality? Fucking 'tards, Told you so!

• 1 for driving over 100 miles a day round trip for work …yessss

Honestly, it’s not a matter of IF, but WHEN.

Don’t we still have cheaper gas prices than most other places in the world anyhow? Canada is usually ~40-50 cents more after conversions and currency.

I was told places in Europe pay much much more than that.

Last summer I took a trip to the Bahamas. Gas here was like 3/gal? Over there it was 6.50! Nuts!

UK Petrol Prices for
Thursday 12th Jun 2008
Avg. Min. Max.
Unleaded 117.6p 112.9p 129.9p
Diesel: 131.0p 125.9p 144.9p
LRP: 121.3p 115.9p 130.9p
Super: 124.4p 115.9p 135.9p
LPG: 59.5p 49.9p 64.9p

Yay!

<----

lol, i love that avatar, haha

you do realzie the reason canada and europe are higher is because of taxes right?

the base line price of gas SANS taxes is pretty much the same all over the world…

Except in the middle east where gas prices are <$1.00

there are some places where the gas price is subsidized by the government… im pretty sure that is the case with the middle east, that the gas price is subsidized by proffitss from the oil industry taxes over there…

fuck gas.

Corn is used in nearly EVERY processed food known to America.

:ohnoes:

I know I just saw an article somewhere about how gas was supposedly going to plateau at the $4 mark. Yeah, right.

Peddle power never looked so good.
If the government dosent regulate this shit, its going to keep going until its 20$ a gallon.

so why does corn have anything to do with gas prices skyrocketing? I ask because ethanol is not widely used yet, there is no gasoline plant there that I know of and not much of a relationship between the two products. do they use corn to produce gasoline now?

maybe i’m just a moron but i don’t understand why a flood in the midwest that is killing a corn crop would make gasoline prices go up.

all gasoline has atleast 10% ethonol in it now.